Small Favors

Chapter Fourteen – Small Favors

Dante eyed me as I walked in. I held up a single finger when he opened his mouth. "Do not start," I said.

"Who dropped you off?"

"How do you know I didn't walk?"

He nodded towards the small bank of monitors along the back wall that were hooked up to our security cameras. The tail end Vincent's car could be seen leaving the frame of the camera that overlooked the back entrance. My teeth snagged my bottom lip. How was I going to get out of this one?

"Bet it was the gangbanger," Devyn cooed, sauntering her way into the room.

"Would you shut up," I grumbled, narrowing my eyes at her.

"Jules, how many times do I have to tell you to stay away from him?" Dante asked. His eyebrows drew together in worry, casting deep shadows over his molten brown eyes.

"Calm down, both of you." Walking over to the computer, I threw my purse down and clocked in. "I would have been late if he didn't bring me." There was no use in denying it now. They both knew that there was no one in my life that could have dropped me off besides Vincent.

Wow, that sounded pathetic.

My words were jumbled and unintelligible as I walked out onto the floor.

***

"I'm not going out with you," I said. A small chuckle fell from my lips as I handed Chris his final drink at the end of the night. He was hammered, something I had never seen before. He was usually very composed. However, he told me his day had been shit and he needed me to get him drunk. I thought I had performed my job very well. I almost felt sorry for him.

He pouted in response to my answer to his question. "But why not?"

"Because I don't date my customers."

"Jules, all you do is work. If you don't date your customers you're gonna stay single forever," Devyn piped in from across the bar.

The look I sent her was scathing. "I don't need any men in my life."

"Yeah, you've got like four too many already."

"Devyn," I warned.

"I didn't take you for the polyamorous type, Jules," Chris said, his voice slightly slurring. He looked very perplexed as to the condition of my love life.

"I am absolutely not," I assured him. I shot Devyn another dirty look. "I just have a lot going on right now. And, honestly, I don't see you like that, Chris."

"Figured as much," he grumbled, resting his cheek on his hand. "I think we would be good together."

"She doesn't," a new voice cut in.

"The fuck are you doing here, banger?" Devyn asked, coming to stand directly beside me. "We don't like you." She brandished the shot glass she was cleaning like a weapon.

My eyes rolled of their own accord. "What're you doing here, Vincent?" I asked.

His forest eyes were focused on Chris as he answered me. "Closing was over thirty minutes ago. I wanted to make sure you didn't dart off on your own."

"Just got pulled into conversation. I told you I didn't need you to take me home."

"You're not walking."