Oh, Vincent

Chapter Twenty-Seven: Oh, Vincent

"I've got some stuff I have to take care of with one of our deals," Vincent told me as he pulled up behind Tuxedo. "What time do you think you two will be finished?"

"It typically takes a while." I pursed my lips as I thought. "I can just have Dante take me home after." Vincent gave me a pointed look; one I knew meant he didn't believe me. I rolled my eyes. "I promise."

"You had better," he muttered, snagging the front of my t-shirt. It was one I had thrown on in a rush barely twenty minutes ago when we had returned to my apartment to let Dexter out. He yanked me towards him, and laughter spilled from my mouth as he kissed me.

"Yes, sir."

There was a deep rumble in his chest, and his pupils blew out. "Watch it, princess."

Another giggle escaped me, and I pecked his nose before hopping out of the SUV. Once the back door to the club fell shut behind me, I heard the engine rumble away. The smile was still on my face when I popped my head into Dante's office. He was bent over a spread of files, his face screwed up in concentration. He grumbled under his breath before running a hand over his shaved head. Curious, I knocked on the doorframe.

"C'mon in, Jules," he said without looking up, beckoning me forward.

I sank into the folding chair across his desk from him. "What's up?"

"I'm pretty sure this party next weekend is going to give me an aneurysm."

"Are they being demanding?"

"No." Dante huffed, his chocolate eyes meeting mine. "It's the guest list."

"Anything I can help with?"

"Unless you have enough pull to make them take this shit somewhere else, no."

"What's wrong with it?"

He turned the page towards me, pointing out a few of the names. "These are some major players in the crime world. While I know this shit goes on here all the time, it stresses me the fuck out. I know all of them, and because of my past they all view this place as neutral ground and act accordingly. But still."

"All the time?" He nodded. "Why have you never told me any of this before?" Dante had confided in me about his breakout from the gang years ago. Why had he never shared anything more? If things like this were common, these players being here often enough he recognized them by name, why had he never told me?

"I keep the darker side of this business away from all of you. That way, if anything ever went down, you all could claim ignorance." He gave me an assessing look, his eyes scouring my features in a way that made me squirm. Dante may not be old enough to be my father, but damn if he didn't make me feel like a delinquent child sometimes. "Something tells me that no matter how much I try to protect you, you're not going to be able to claim that for much longer."

My cheeks heated. "What do you mean?"

"Don't play dumb, Jules," he said, a hint of amusement dancing across his face. "You have ignored every single warning I've given you in regard to Monroe. And I'm not blind. I've known Vincent for a long time, maybe only in passing, but his reputation proceeds him in this world. He's never had a woman at his side. Not until you."

"I'm not –"

"Oh, yes, you are."

It was my turn to huff. "Care to elaborate?"