Fancy Seeing You

Chapter Twenty-Three – Fancy Seeing You

Three shots later, Devyn had managed to drag me out onto the dance floor. I laughed as she dragged my body against hers, swaying us to the pulsing beat that seemed to merge with my blood. God, how long had it been since I had let loose like this? I couldn't remember the last time if I was being honest with myself.

"Why don't we do this more often?" I called to her over the din.

"Because we both work way too much, and it's usually opposite shifts." She threw a glare toward the back with her last sentence, and I had to restrain the grin that wanted to break over my face.

"He doesn't purposely keep us separated."

"I know," she huffed. "It just seems like it sometimes."

She laughed with me as we moved to the music again. As usual, we were drawing a few wandering eyes. Devyn had a body to kill for, and I knew I wasn't hard to look at either. But I did my best to ignore them. If I was actually going to give whatever had bloomed between Vincent and I a shot, then I wasn't interested in anyone else.

Not even the tawny-eyed man who watched me with mirth dancing in his eyes from one of the corner booths.

"Damnit," I cursed, spinning so that my back was to Jack. I was fairly certain I had never told Jack where I worked, so fate must just have it out for me.

"What's up?" Devyn asked, catching the shift in my demeanor.

"You know the trainer I told you I've been going to see recently?" She nodded. "In the booth at twelve o'clock."

Her gaze drifted around the bar, trying not to make her search obvious. But I saw the moment she saw him. Her eyes widened the slightest bit as she finished her scan, then whipped her attention back to me. "That's the man you're getting all close and sweaty with every week?"

"Devyn."

"Does Vincent know?" she asked, ignoring the warning tone in my voice.

"No," I muttered, blowing out a breath. "I never wanted to admit to him that I was so scared after that first encounter that I went and started taking self-defense."

"Something tells me Vincent is the type of man who would be proud of you for that, but he," she started, nodding in Jack's direction. "is gorgeous."

"Shut up."

"Well, if you don't want him, I'm going to take a swing at it." She grabbed my arm and dragged me over to Jack's table, hissing at me to introduce them as we approached.

A grin was breaking over his face as we made it to his table, and I couldn't stop myself from rolling my eyes at him. "Fancy seeing you here."

"Hey, Jules," he greeted, holding his hands up in a placating gesture. "I swear, I'm not following you."

"You just happen to pop up where I am two days in a row?"

"Okay, so maybe I was worried about you. And when my friend asked me if I wanted to join them for a night out, I agreed knowing that there was a very slim chance I might run into you."

"This is the one then?" a deep voice asked behind us, causing me to whip around. The man that was standing there was gorgeous. His dark brown skin was gleaming under the neon lights, making him look like he had stepped out of the night sky itself. Full lips pulled back to reveal gleaming white teeth in a dazzling smile. Once I picked my jaw up off the floor, he extended a hand to me, and I tried to ignore the muscles that wreathed every inch of his body that I could see. "I'm Sebastian."