Fade to Black

Chapter Twenty-One – Fade to Black

Dexter trooped after us as we emerged into a beautiful master suite. Vincent's sister had one hundred percent known what she was doing. The room was just as immaculate as the first floor, but the bedroom felt more like Vincent. It was done in deep shades of black and grey. The bed was a massive four poster style and took up residence on the left side of the room. Two doors were located to my right, leading to what I assumed were the bathroom and closet. Vincent vanished into the first of the two doors, and the warmth from the electric fireplace drew me closer to it. A large flatscreen TV hung above it, and I could see the beds reflection as I warmed my hands. That was where Vincent found me when he reemerged a few moments later with some clothes in hand.

"You can change in there," he told me as he pressed them into my grasp and gestured to the far door.

Nodding, I moved into the bathroom without so much as a word. I hadn't realized just how tired I really was until that moment. Too tired to even take in the beauty of the white marble that surrounded me on all sides, I barely even looked at the clothes he handed me before I shed my sweatshirt and leggings. It felt like peeling off a second skin as I shimmied the pants down my legs. Once I was standing in just my underwear, I finally took in what he had given me. It was just one of his shirts, though it was a favorite if the faded lettering meant anything. The words on the front were faded to the point I couldn't read them anymore, but I was guessing it had once been a band tee. When I slipped it over my head, I was reminded just how much larger Vincent was than me as it fell past midthigh. The shirt was soft, and it smelled like him. The dark scent wrapped around me, the after effect of whatever cologne or bodywash he used, but there was also something there that was distinctly him. Since he hadn't deigned to give me any pants, I was glad for the length of the shirt. I unclasped my bra, slipped my arms from the straps, and dropped it with the rest of my clothes before taking them with me. There was no way I was sleeping in that death contraption.

Vincent was sitting in a large chair by the window to my right when I emerged. The window wasn't floor to ceiling like the ones in the main area of the apartment, but it still gave the same breathtaking view. His fist was pressed against his mouth, but it fell to his side when he turned toward me. In the dark, his eyes looked black. Or maybe it was the way his pupil swallowed the green as his eyes raked over me.

A flush crept up my neck to settle in my cheeks at the look on his face. My weight shifted from foot to foot and I bit my lip. I held up my clothes. "Where would you like me to put these?" I asked, my voice coming out in a low rasp. I cleared my throat. No matter how close Vincent and I had gotten, I still wasn't thrilled about him knowing the effect he had on me. However, the smile toying with the edges of his lips said he knew exactly what he was doing.

Asshole.

His movements were languid as he rose from the chair. He all but stalked toward me, and I refused to budge. There was no way I was going to back down. Not when I had promised myself just hours earlier that I wasn't going to chicken out again. Heat pooled low in my belly when he came to a stop in front of me. His gaze bored into mine and my thighs clenched in response. Wordlessly, he took the clothes from my hands and tossed them into the chair he had just vacated. His hands met my hips, drawing me forward until his heat sank into my skin. My eyelids fluttered closed at the contact, and a content sigh fell from my lips. Suddenly, I was wide awake as my body hummed under his touch.

"Juliette," he murmured, his voice a low rumble that I felt in my chest. His hands moved to my hair, tangling in it as he angled my face up to his. "If you don't want this, tell me right now."

He was giving me an out. Big, bad Vincent Monroe. Who was known for being ruthless, who wanted me so badly he was straining against his jeans, was giving me plenty of time to make my decision.