And the Hits Keep Coming

Chapter Thirty-Six: And the Hits Keep Coming

"I'm bored, Dev."

"It's been two weeks," she said around a mouthful of food. My nose wrinkled, and she proceeded to roll her eyes at me. "You'll be fine."

"I literally laze around the warehouse all day. Either in the apartment or down on the main floor with everyone else. But there's not much else I can do, and I'm getting impatient."

"Is he hiding anything from you?"

"No," I grumbled, stabbing my salad with slightly more aggression than was probably necessary. "I've sat in on every meeting. I know the ins-and-outs of this deal they've got going with Weasel-Face –"

"Henry," Brandon corrected, raising his head from his phone to give me a mocking smile.

"Whatever. He looks like a damn weasel and you all will never convince me otherwise. That slicked back hair isn't doing him any favors."

"He seems to like you," he said. Devyn shot him a dirty look, nudging his shoulder with hers. "What?"

"That man would like anything on two legs if it smiled at him for more than two seconds," I retorted.

"Jules," Devyn sighed, drawing my attention back to her. There was laughter dancing in her brown eyes. "What do you want them to do? We've all kept an eye out for Jack, and we're coming up empty."

"It's like he vanished into thin air," Brandon added.

I scowled at the pair. When Devyn had suggested we get lunch, I had almost forgotten that we'd need a security team with us. Vincent hadn't looked happy with the idea, but it was no secret how stir crazy I was getting. Since he couldn't come with us, we brought Brandon and a team of four that had stayed on the outside of the restaurant. The four outside were people I had grown more comfortable with in the past week, lead by one of the few other girls I had met.

Her name was Angelica, and she was anything but angelic. Glancing through the window, I could just make out her head of burgundy hair on one of the benches outside. She was sprawled out, taking up as much room as possible. As if she could feel my gaze, her head popped up. She gave me a two-finger salute with a sassy little smile before dropping her head back so the sun could touch her face again.

Devyn followed my line of sight until her eyes found Angelica as well. "Don't any of you gang-bangers know how to be discreet?"

A laugh burst out of me at the look of sheer bewilderment on Brandon's face. "She has a point," I said, trying to hide my grin behind my hand.

"Angel is just sitting on a bench. She could be anyone."

"Tell that to the gun in her waistband," Devyn mumbled.

"She's the best marksman they've got," I told her. "If anyone can blow Jack's brains out before we even know he's here, it's her."

"Sounds like my kind of woman."

"I bet if you ask her really nice, she'll even teach you how to shoot," I teased.

That made her light up. "You think?"

"Please don't," Brandon groaned.

"Why not?"

"Nothing gets Angel hotter than talking about guns. I dodged a bullet with Arkin. I don't want to share you with anyone else."

I smothered another smile as Devyn's cheeks tinted pink. Brandon being assigned to watch over Devyn had forced them into close proximity, something that I had worried about. Devyn tended to get bored quickly when she spent too much time with any one person. But after two weeks of Brandon crashing on her couch most nights, she still went a little doe-eyed whenever he walked in a room.