Hideaway

Chapter Twenty-Six: Hideaway

"Ow."

"Quit your whining."

Peeking out from beneath the covers, I glared at Vincent where he sat propped against the headboard. He had a sated smile on his face and mirth dancing in his eyes. The late morning sun had gilded my entire bedroom in shades of gold, but I still hadn't been able to make myself move. Waking up wrapped in Vincent's arms for the second day in a row was surreal experience, but definitely one I could get used to. However, his morning-person attitude needed to take a back seat. Pronto.

"You weren't bent into twenty-seven different positions last night."

"It was only twenty-six, princess."

I chucked a pillow at his head, and he caught it with a laugh.

"Don't you have a job to do?"

"Lucas and Brandon have it covered for today."

"And what are your plans?"

"I don't have any," his eyes skimmed along the skin that he could see, which was only the tops of my shoulders. "Did you have anything in mind?"

I burrowed farther into the comforter just to spite him, and from the smirk on his face, he knew what I was doing.

"Tonight is my night to help Dante with inventory, but other than that I'm free."

"Then I have something I want to show you."

That piqued my interest. "Oh?"

"Mhmm." I squeaked as he snagged my wrist in his grasp. He yanked me into his arms with a firm tug, and before I knew it, we were fully entangled again. "But first, I think I need to eat."

And then he slid beneath the covers, and I knew we wouldn't be leaving the bedroom anytime soon.

* * * * *

Just over an hour later, we found ourselves back in the kitchen. We were both freshly showered, and I braided my hair back away from my face. Dexter sat next to Vincent in the kitchen, probably hoping he would slip him another slice of bacon when I wasn't looking. A smile graced my lips as I watched them. It was always nice to see Dexter warm up to someone. Lately, he had had plenty of new faces.

"Is it bad that it shocks me how domestic you are sometimes?"

"Have you been stereotyping me?"

My eyes rolled as I slipped into one of the chairs at the dining room table. "Don't act like you haven't fit quite a few of them."

"Fair enough."

He made his way over to me with a cup of coffee in his hand. I peaked at it when he set it in front of me. He winked as he walked back to the stove. The heat from the mug seeped into my hands as I wrapped them around it. When I took a sip, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was exactly how I normally drank it. My eyes narrowed on Vincent as he came back over and set a plate in front of me. He had made bacon, and it was cooked to perfection just like the day before. He also had cut up the strawberries in the fridge and placed them on top of a fluffy pancake.

"You really didn't have to do all this," I said, eyeing him as he took his place across from me.

His broad shoulders raised in a shrug. "I wanted to. Does everything look okay?"