The Trap

Chapter Forty-One: The Trap

"What do you mean I'm not coming with you?" I asked Vincent, my arms crossed as I blocked the door out of the apartment.

He leveled me with a glare. "Juliette, I love you. And I know that you can handle yourself, but Henry knows how much you mean to me. I'm not letting you get caught in the crossfire."

"After everything we've gone through together, after how much I have done and given for these people, you don't have any right to take this from me."

His forest eyes were blazing, that muscle in his jaw ticking. "I know. But you do remember that you nearly got blown up less than a week ago?"

"Of course, I do," I seethed. My aching bones barely let me forget it. "But that doesn't mean I shouldn't be there. I should be at your side when we finish this."

"He asked if you were going to be there for the final trade off," he said, coming forward to rest his hands on my shoulders. "We've kept him at bay by using Jack's phone to make him think he's still alive. But I don't know what he has planned for you, and I don't trust it. Please, just let me end this for us."

I knew his heart was in the right place. And I also knew that I had done more than enough. More than I ever thought I was capable of. I had proven time and time again that my place was at his side.

But I was also impulsive, and I knew that was what he was most worried about. More than what they had planned for me – and I was as sure as he was that there was one – he was worried about what I would do to keep him safe.

I hated when he was right.

Letting out a deep sigh through my nose, I dropped my stance. Vincent's shoulders relaxed in answer. "Who're you taking with you?" I grumbled.

"We're keeping it small. It'll be the main three, and then a handful of others just in case."

"We'll take good care of him, sugar."

I about jumped out of my skin at the sound of Lucas's voice. The smile on his face was anything but kind when I whirled on him.

"Twenty-eight," we chorused.

"Make it twenty-nine," I hissed, aiming a punch at his gut. He sidestepped me with ease, chuckling as he caught me in a headlock. Not wasting a second, I spun out of his hold and tackled him to the ground.

We both knew he only went down because he wanted to.

Vincent muttered something about working with children as Arkin and Brandon stepped into the apartment as well. They all stopped to watch as Lucas and I fought for dominance. With Jack being – well, dead – Lucas had stepped in to continue my training. It was nice to have time to spend with him again, but it was even better to have the opportunity to kick his ass every now and then. He outmatched me in weight, but what Jack had taught me about using my size and speed to my advantage still held true.

Just not this time.

Lucas laughed as he pinned me. A heavy groan escaped my lips an instant before Lucas's weight vanished. Gentle hands hoisted me up, and Brandon glared at his friend before checking me over.

"She's still recovering from a bomb, genius. Take it easy."

Lucas and I both rolled our eyes, but I let Brandon finish his inspection. When he was satisfied I wasn't going to fall apart, he took a step back. He was still glaring at his cousin, and I turned to Vincent and Arkin and motioned to the two with a kind of 'help me' gesture. They just shook their heads at me.