CHAPTER ELEVEN

LUCRECIA

i kicked the door in and we rushed into the house, irina closing the door behind us.

i looked around the messed up home as irina shivered.

she found a lantern and lit it so we could see, being as it was dark.

"cool! look what they have! i haven't seen one of these in forever." she said, coming towards me with a polaroid camera.

"cheese!" she said, taking a picture of me, resulting in me jumping from the flash.

she giggled as she took the picture out. "it's alright. see." she showed me the picture. "it's important to preserve memories, you know? especially now that the world's on its way out." she said, taking another picture of the house. "everything you see, you might be seeing for the last time. harv used to say that."

i looked away in discomfort at the mention of the boy i recently killed.

"here. take a picture." she said, handing me the camera, in which i lifted and took a picture of her.    

i was now reading a magazine about the kardashian's as i sat on a warm couch.

irina came down the stairs. "i'm exhausted. the bed actually isn't too rotten, so i'm gonna go to sleep. goodnight." she smiled before going back up.

before she could reach the top, she came down again. "um, lu?"

"yeah?"

"lu, i was just- i was thinking.. you know, you could.. sleep in there. if you want. on the floor. these houses creep me out, so... okay." she said before actually going up the stairs this time.

i only stared.

i set the magazine down and got up.