CHAPTER FIVE

LUCRECIA

memory:

harvey had a knife as he was playing with his food at dinner with irina and her father.

"this is a special occasion." the deep voice of irina's father said.

"uh, special occasion, sir?" harvey asked.

"it's mom's birthday." irina quietly said as she looked at harvey.

irina's father poured the red wine and lifted his glass, clinking it with harvey's and irina's.

"to raffaella." harvey spoke, at the same time as irina said "to mom."

"so harvey, irina tells me you've been working in agriculture; but tell me you'd consider going to work construction with your father on the wall, we need good people."

"uhm.."

"don't mind him, harv. dad's idea of saving humanity is to build a big concrete box, put everyone in it, and then wait at the door with guns until we grow old and die." irina bitterly smiled.

"well, irina, without the wall we would be eating.. brains instead of salmon and rice."

"dad.."

end of memory.

new memory:

irina put her hand on harvey's shoulder as they walked.

"this is the only way passed the wall, otherwise we'd get stopped." irina said, looking behind them as they reached a large door with yellow tape across it.

"okay, we're cool." irina spoke as they ripped the tape off and opened the door, getting in.

"come on, it's not that bad. come on." irina ushered harvey in and he obliged.

"i haven't heard from him in two days." harvey spoke.

"he's on construction detail, harvey. he's working. my dad goes weeks without checking in."

the two then went down a ladder and into an alleyway that lead to a field.

"hey, it's gonna be okay." irina said to her boyfriend.

"yeah.." harvey whispered before hugging her.

end of memory.

new memory:

irina and harvey were on the field now, irina was looking straight while harvey was looking all around.

it was a baseball field, so harvey jokingly swung his gun as if it was a baseball bat.

the two kept walking and then ended up on the construction lot.

"dad." harvey smiled, but his smile faltered when he saw his father.

"harv." irina said worriedly from behind harvey.

harvey's dad lifted his head, smelling food, as he was now a corpse.

his father then screamed and began running towards him.

"hey, hey, hey, hey! don't!" harvey screamed, falling at irina's feet, who shot harvey's father right as harvey fell.

the other zombies then smelled them and began running at them as irina ushered harvey to get up and RUN.

end of memory.

no wonder she's so afraid of me.

i made my way back to the airplane.

i need a different approach. okay, here we go.

don't be creepy. don't be creepy. don't be creepy.

my eyes landed on the girl who was now in a new seat, shivering, and pointing a knife at me.

i decided to open the compartment above her and look for a blanket, seeing as she was cold.

"what are you doing?"

i turned to her and walked towards her.

"please leave me alone."

i gently threw the blanket on top of her and wrapped it warmly around her and i gave her empathetic eyes.

"why me? why did you save me?"

"don't... c-cry." i managed out before walking away.

i walked over to the record player, blew off dust on a record, and i played it.

then, i sat across from her and sat on the handle of the aisle seat and stared at her. "safe. keep you s-safe."

i closed my eyes and enjoyed the music playing throughout the airplane.

"what are you?"

i opened my eyes to look at her again.

i then looked down and sat properly in the seat, before turning, smiling softly, and looking at her again then reclining my seat back which of course, i stared at the ceiling.