CHAPTER NINE

LUCRECIA

"lu, can i ask you something?" she paused when she waited for me to answer; she continued when i looked up at her, "my boyfriend, he died back there. will he come back? as one of you?"

i was quick to shake my head.

she sighed. "well that's good i guess," she hugged her knees and looked down. "something happened to him. a lot of things happened to him. but i guess there just came a point where.. he just couldn't absorb anymore.. it's just, in my world, people die all the time. so, you know, it's not like i'm.. i'm not sad that he's gone, cause i am, but i think i've been.. preparing for it for a really long time." she wiped a tear from her eye.

i moved forward a bit before standing and walking off and putting the music back on.

once i sat in front of her again, i put my hand to my heart and then placed my hand on hers.

"what are you?" she quietly asked, looking at my face.

she fell asleep again as i looked back to see her since i was sitting in the cockpit.

man, it must be nice to sleep. i wish i could. i wish i could dream. but that's not really an option for me. i thought as i pulled out more of harvey's brain from my pocket. the dead don't dream. this is as close as we get. i put his brain in my mouth.

memory:

"are you sure about this, son?" irina's father asked harvey.

harvey nodded.

"welcome then." he said, as he put a pin on harvey's shirt. "sorry for your loss."

"me too." harvey said, not expression on his face. stone.

"give him a gun and teach him how to use it." irina's father spoke, before walking away.

end of memory.

new memory:

"hey bert, you gonna help us out or what?"

"nope, i'm almost at level five."

"did you hear that?"

"i did. we should bail."

"we can't just bail, we have orders."

end of memory.

my face turned to one of discomfort as i ate and saw harvey's memories, felt harvey's feelings.

new memory:

"god, you sound just like my dad."

"thank you."

"yeahhhh, wasn't a compliment."

"i told you i heard something."

"HARVEY!"

"GO FOR THE HEADS!"

end of flashback.

i spit the brain out.

the last thing i saw was me about to murder irina's boyfriend.

i let out a deep, exasperated breath and made a disgusted face.

i was disgusted with myself.

i looked back and saw that irina was no longer there.

i ran into the airport, hearing screams.

what i saw was corpses. and irina.

they were surrounding her.

carla was too..

irina had a chainsaw, but they kept coming at her and i knew she was scared. terrified.

she did end up killing some, but when it came to carla..

carla pulled irina close and smelled her deeply, opening her mouth.

i came over and punched carla' s arm, separating them two.

i pushed carla and then moved on to another corpse, whose head i smashed in.

irina was out of breath and almost hyperventilating.

"you said a few days. it's been a few days, lu." she sighed. "i have to go home."

i nodded. "n-n-n-not s-safe."

carla then stood, screaming out "what?!"

"irina."

"living? eat!"

i shook my head and walked closer to carla.

carla nodded. "eat! EAT!"

interrupting our fight was a boney at the doorway.

my face contorted to concern when irina let out a shakey "oh my god."

"we go." i said, backing up and grabbing irina's arm as we were about to run.

"eat." carla whispered to me right when we left.