~ Chapter 08 ~

Chapter 08

Words: 1794

Dan yawned, cracking his back. Phil was coming back that day and Dan already felt a spring in his step as he walked to the kitchen to make breakfast. He popped two bits of bread in the toaster and poured a glass of orange juice.

"You seem awfully cheerful today." Ryuk commented. 

Dan didn't reply, knowing full well the cameras could be placed in his kitchen too. He walked into the living room and switched the TV on, flicking through channels and stopping on The Big Bang Theory. He was about to settle down when he heard the pop of his toast.

He jumped back to his feet and slid the two pieces out, lathering it in butter. He put them on a plate, grabbed his glass of juice and settled down on the couch.

"I'll ask Ryuk to take one more check later and see if the camera's leave. I still think L's making a decision as quick as he can so the camera's should be out soon. If they're still there later I'll have to find a way to write down some more criminals without Phil seeing." Dan thought, taking a bite out of his breakfast.

~

Phil watched as Dan sat down on their sofa, settling his toast on his lap and watching a TV program. Dan took a bite out of his golden toast, greasy crumbs coating his plump, luscious lips-

Phil stood up, shutting his eyes and running a hand through his hair. Something was definitely wrong with him. He needed to stop having this petty crush on his best friend, it only makes everything harder in more ways than one.

"Should I be taking the cameras out today Ryuzaki?" Jim asked.

"Yes Jim, as quick as convenient to you." Phil smiled gratefully. 

The others on the Task Force then entered the room, taking place on the sofa. The TV's with the camera footage remained on. They'd have to go through the tapes later to double check.

"Right ... Tim. Was there anything?" Phil asked.

"No, none of them watched TV or the news on any other device. I-"

"Ryuzaki!" Jim interrupted.

"Hm?"

"Something seems to be happening, on the BBC news." He explained. Phil grabbed the remote, switching off all the TV's and turning on the main one. He then switched to the BBC news channel.

TV~"-in other words, all the reporters and staff here are Kira's hostages. Aside from that we have a professional obligation to share this message with you. I assure you that this is not a hoax and that the BBC is not airing this tape for the purposes of sensationalism.-"

"Kira's hostages?" Tim asked, frowning at the screen. Phil narrowed his eyes.

"What is this?" wondered Joe.

TV~"-four days ago our program director at the BBC received four tapes. After thorough examination there could be no doubt that they are from Kira himself. The first tape we received contained a prediction, regarding the time of death of two suspected criminals who'd recently been arrested and as predicted, the exact time that Kira had specified, both men died suddenly of heart attacks, yesterday."

"If what they're saying is true, it's clearly something only Kira could do." Phil thought.

TV~"-Kira has instructed us to air the second tape today at exactly 9.59am, and we do tend to comply with his demands. This tape should offer proof of his powers by predicting yet another death. Beyond that we understand that it contains a message to all the people of the world, from Kira."