~ Chapter 03 ~

Chapter 03

Words: 1221

"I see." Dan replied, sipping his coffee. Before their conversation could continue the TV was turned up and the room went quiet. Curious, Dan and Phil looked at the screen. A man appeared on screen with a stack of papers in his hand looking confused and worried.

TV~ "We'd like to apologize for the interruption. As of now we'll bring you a live worldwide broadcast from interpol's ICPO ... we now take you live to the ICPO-" 

Dan frowned, watching the screen intently. Another man sat straight in his chair, a dark look in his eyes. His hair was black and lightly covered his eyes. His pale skin stood out, he looked very intimidating. A sign sat in front of him reading 'LIND. L. TAILOR' in capital letters.

"I'm head of an international police task force which includes all member nations. I am Lind L Tailor ... otherwise known as L."

Dan's eyes widened and his hands tightened around his mug. "What?" Dan thought.

"Criminals around the world are being murdered by a serial killer, I consider this crime to be the most atrocious act of murder in history, I will not rest until the person or persons responsible is brought to justice. Kira, I will hunt you down, I will find you! ... Kira, I've got a pretty good idea what your motivation might be and I can guess what you hope to achieve. However ... what you're doing right now is evil."

Dan's eyes narrowed, his teeth clenching behind his lips. "Who is he to decide this?" Dan thought angrily. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a piece of paper, laying it in his lap and taking a pen out. "I am justice, I protect the innocent from evil and those who defy me are either too stupid or have done wrong in their lives ... looks like you weren't so smart L ..." Dan thought, smirking in triumph. "Now the world will see what happens when you defy me ..."

Dan scribbled 'Lind L Tailor' across the page, glancing sideways at Phil who looked intently at the screen. Dan folded the paper and put it back in his pocket along with the pen and checked his watch.

"10 seconds." 

10

9

8

7

6

5

4

3

2

1-

The man on screen's eyes widened and he choked, clutching at his chest. He started moaning and groaning and gasping for air. He yelled out and his head fell forward, body slumping against the desk. 

Dan smirked.

Phil however had diverted his wide eyes from the screen and typed a text into his phone rapidly.

"That escalated quickly." Ryuk commented, snickering next to Dan.

Dan watched, feeling smug as a bunch of staff hauled Lind's body off screen. "What's the matter L? Got nothing to say?" Dan thought.

Suddenly a black letter 'L' on a white background popped up on screen. Dan's eyebrows twitched.

"I had to test this just in case but ... I- I never thought it would actually happen. Kira ... it seems you can kill people without having to be there in person! I wouldn't have believed it if I haden't just witnessed it. Listen to me Kira, if you did indeed kill Lind L Tailor the man who you just saw die on television ... I should tell you that he was an inmate, his execution was scheduled for today. That was not me." A robotic voice explained.

Dan's eyes widened in surprise. "What!?" 

Phil continued to type into his phone.

"The police arrested him in absolute secrecy so you wouldn't have heard about him on TV or through the internet. It appears even you do not have access to information about these types of criminals."

"HAHA! He got you there Dan!" Ryuk cackled harshly.

"BUT I ASSURE YOU, L IS REAL! I DO exist. Now, try to kill ME! What's wrong? Hurry up! Come on right now! KILL ME! Come on Kira, try to kill me!"

Dan glared at the screen, hatred seeping through his veins, whilst Phil kept tapping on his phone. "GO ON KIRA!" Someone from inside the cafe shouted and a few others agreed.

"Can't you do it?" L taunted. "... Well Kira, it seems that you can't kill me after all."

Ryuk's raspy chuckles only infuriated Dan further.

"So there are some people you can't kill ... you'e given me a useful hint! Let me return the favour ... I'll ell you something that I think you'll find interesting. Although this is announced as a world wide broadcast ... the truth is, we are only broadcasting in London in the UK. I had planned to broadcast this message around the world until we found you but it looks like that won't be necessary. I now know where you are."

"This L guy is pretty good." Ryuk laughed and Dan wanted to punch him. He felt panicked inside, his mind setting off alarm bells as his eyes widened to saucers. His fingers were wrapped so tight round the mug the blood had left them and they were white.

"The police treated your first killing as an unrelated incident but in actuality the first of your victims was a suspect in a small crime. This one's crime was by far the least serious, furthermore this crime was only ever recorded inside the UK. I used that information to deduce this much. You are in the UK, and your first victim was little more than an experiment. Which means that you haven't been killing for very long."

Dan was shocked at how much L had managed to deduct from all of it. He had stupidly underestimated him.

"We decided to broadcast in London first because of it's large population and luckily we found you. To be completely honest with you, I never expected things to go this well but it won't be too long now before I'm able to sentence you to death" Dan felt like hurling his mug at the TV and screaming at L for doing this. "Naturally I'm very interested to know how you are able to commit these murders without being present but ... I don't mind waiting a little bit longer. You can answer all of my questions when I catch you. Lets meet again soon ... Kira."

Phil put his phone down and stared up at the screen as the letter turned into static and the channel stopped. A loud murmur crept through the cafe as every one watched in surprise. Dan slowly lessened his grip on the mug and breathed in and out to calm himself.

"Oh really, he's going to sentence me to death? ... I accept your challenge L ... I will hunt you down and I will find you and eliminate you! I am JUSTICE!" 

"DAN!" Dan's thoughts were interrupted by Phil who had pushed his mug to one side and was pulling his coat on. 

"Huh?"

"Are you coming? We need to get back to the flat, I'm going out in a bit." Phil explained.

"Oh, sure okay." Dan fumbled about with his jacket.

"That was interesting, looks like L's on Kira's tail." Phil commented as they left the cafe. Dan gritted his teeth.

"Guess so." Dan said as calmly as he could.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~HelloAnonymousWriter~