LVI

•••

The King was calm and kind in nature, loved and adored by the people for being humble, wise and rules fairly. He loves all of his sons, and makes sure they are safe and protected within the castle. He was a good man with a big heart, yet he was also blind to the truth when it comes to the queen.

Instances where he would chose her side, easing her not to be too harsh on them when they were younger, he can only give his children the eyes that plead for their forgiveness. They understand, they always do. Children have to be obedient with their parents since they know what's good for them. He can only observe by the side, seeing them grow up to be the children she had wanted, making her proud. If he was honest, it hurts his heart to see the smiles that adorn their features were never the same anymore. Yet, he never had the courage in him to turn her words against her. The queen has reasons. He knows all of it, so he kept his mouth shut, lets her do what she needed to do, not just as the queen but also as a mother. He became dependent on her, relied every decision on her judgement and the weight of her words. It has been that for many year, but now that the queen is gone, he doesn't know what to do anymore.

Jeonghan sits idly on the edge of the couch, gaze never leaving his Father's face. It was like a blank canvas, the painter is yet trying to find the perfect paint to add on the details. The omega can tell there are  many thoughts running wild in his head, his placid demeanor never changing. He expected their father to go rash and hysterical, throw things and wreak havoc the moment the door shut closed, spewing curses every second but no, he didn't. He went straight to his chair and sat there.

Its been hours but he hasn't move from his place, the seconds ticking by heightens his anxiousness, opening his mouth to say something, anything to make him feel better. Jeonghan chose to withhold his tongue, the words dying instantly before they could leave. He doesn't want him to snap and be mad at him.

He might have lost his mother, but the King lost his Queen, his wife, and his only love. Jeonghan can't compare the heart wrenching pain he must be dealing with.
So he waits, and waits. Not wanting to leave him alone, he might do something impulsively and it will cost an ever bigger damage to them. Love makes people do unexplainable things, whether they are good or bad.

The prince hears a creak of wood against the tiles, he casts a look at his Father, who stands up from his position and makes his way to him. The king leaves a reasonable distance, opening his arms slowly, silently asking for a hug from his eldest child.

Jeonghan didn't hesitate and launch himself into his awaiting embrace, wrapping his arms around his torso. The king does the same, dipping his chin on the crown of his head, shuddering out an exhale. He was cold, the omega realizes so he burrows himself further, squeezing tightly, a silent indication that he's there.

They stay like that for a few minutes, the warmth he feels gives him a sense of nostalgia, of their carefree young days during summer. His father and them would have days where they would just lounge around and play board games, painting random artworks with Seungkwan, reading novels to Wonwoo, having a duet with Jihoon even if he can't sing very well, accompanying Jisoo to take a stroll around, and let Minghao sneak off to go dance, all of this done without their mother knowing. The nights would come where they will gather around him, hushed whispers exchange and they all huddled close as he leaves lingering kisses on their forehead.

The good, old days were now over.

The king slowly pulls away, carefully scanning Jeonghan's face, his lips quirk down as his eyes turned gloomy and distraught. His right hand cups his face gently, slightly trembling as he does. Jeonghan shifts his head to lean on his hand, placing a hand above it. The King's facade can be seen cracking, his calm demeanor changes, opening at the edges, guilt and shame can be seen.

"I'm sorry."

It was expected. After the tempestuous streak, somber will heap over, and when it washes away, penitence will take over, one that will last for years to come. Jeonghan holds his hand tighter, shaking his head, "No. Father, please. None of this is your fault."

"It is."

Jeonghan feels vexed, but he resists. He does not want his father to suffer a sin he had never committed. "No. You didn't know–"

The king retracts his hand away, letting it fall limply on his side, "I do know, Han."

"W-what?"

Jeonghan stares at him, eyebrows meeting in a pinch, befuddled at his response. What does their father mean he knows?

"I– J-jeonghan, my child, forgive me."

The unsettling feeling creeping up his spine makes him stand from his seat, eyes locked on him. "Forgive? I– what is there to forgive? Father, please. You're being–"

The king shakes his head, his crown leaning sideways, almost toppling over. He walks over to his son, eyes shed with tears. "There's no one to blame but me. I could have prevented this, Han. Your mother–"

"Father, stop–"

Jeonghan grabs him by the shoulder, trying to appease him to calm, "Stop apologizing. None of this is because of you."

The King says nothing, eyes that were brimmed with tears have made its way down. He raises the sleeve of his arm and wipes them gently. "Go to sleep, Father. Ease your troubles and over thinking."
Jeonghan takes away the blanket draped over him to his Father, settling him down on the couch again. He can feel his heart being squeezed at the sight of him, all lost and broken. He cards his fingers through his hair, humming softly. When the king lets his eyelids close, the prince stands up from his seat, arranging the blanket so it would cover until his shoulders. "Good night, Father."

"Jeonghan." The king calls, barely above a whisper, his eyes remained shut. He must be dreaming.

He walks towards the door when he speaks again, eyes going wide as he glances back at his sleeping face. "The truth..."

Truth?

"Someday..." The words gradually grew faint, so he steps back to hear it clearly, heart pounding, his gut wrenching unpleasantly.

"Forgive me."