XXXIX

•••

Wonwoo runs, runs, and runs.

Until he was away from the library.

He trudges the towards the west tower, to the sole place he finds comfort in. Every step feels heavy, like a weight pulling him down.

Unlocking the door, he walks inside, and lands on the bed, staring at the ceiling blankly.

Why?

Wonwoo takes his glasses off and places it on the bedside. His hand lands on the book he previously read, opening it on the folded page. He skims through the written texts, not taking a word in. His mind distracted. Covering his face with book, he closes his eyes.

Why?

"Woo?"

He startles awake, taking the book, and glances at the door, it was locked.

"Over here."

He saunters over the window, and sees his younger brother, waving a hand at him.

"What the hell? Jihoon?!" Said prince giggles, sitting on his cloud. "Get over here! You might fall!" He panics, trying to reach for the omega and pulls him inside. The thundercloud following them.

Wonwoo points a hand at it, "What is that?"

"Its a thundercloud, obviously." Jihoon rolls his eyes at him, patting it as he does.
"Prince Soonyoung gave him to me as a gift."

"Can't he give you a normal one?" He says, referring to the lightning that sparks around it.

"Nine is a good cloud. He won't harm me." Jihoon puts his hand on it again to prove a point, the cloud roars. "See?"

Wonwoo sighs, "How thoughtful of your betrothed to shower you with gifts."

He says with a smile but wasn't able to mask the bitterness on his tone making the younger looks at him in question. "Is something wrong, Woo?"

"Hmm, what do you mean?"

Jihoon stares straight into his eyes, "Did something happen?"

Wonwoo looks away, reaching for his book again, "No."

"You look..." Jihoon makes weird gestures, meaning to the whole atmosphere of the room, "hurt?"

The older prince laughs, eyes still stuck on the book, "Oh. Its just this book I'm reading."

"What about it?"

"Its about how this man is cheating on his wife, with someone younger, much better. She caught them one day, and decided to end her life. How sad, right?"

Jihoon hums, looks at book he's holding, "And the title of the book is 'History of the Diamond Kingdom, 18xx?'"

Wonwoo slams the book shut, turns it to look at the front and groans silently, "I meant the other book I was reading."

Jihoon raises a brow, unconvinced. "Don't lie, Woo. It doesn't suit you."

"Right, that's your forte." He fires back making the younger laugh.

Wonwoo thought Jihoon would drop the topic, because he doesn't really want to talk about it but if their one trait that his younger brother has that irks him the most, is that is Jihoon is persistent even when he tells himself that he's not a nosy person, that's how the younger shows he cares for them.

Jihoon scoots closer until he was in front of the older, his thundercloud cushioning his back as he leans backward. "Wonwoo hyung, its okay. You can tell me."

Wonwoo moves forward, engulfing Jihoon in an embrace, hiding his face in his torso.
His heavy breathing staggering as he lets his guard down, no tears may came out but his heart felt stabbed, pricked by a thousand needles.

He tightens his arms around the younger, who threads his fingers on his hair, giving him time.

Minutes have passed when he pulled away, chuckling monotonously, eyes glazed. "Jihoon, tell me, what's wrong with me?"

Stunned by his words, Jihoon flickers his eyes at him then at his cloud, not understanding what he means. Nine roars as a reply, pushing him forward to Wonwoo.

"What the heck is this all about?"

Wonwoo closes his eyes, what he saw replaying behind his eyelids. He can't deny the pain in his chest when he saw them together, so close to each other. He doesn't want to think what would have happened if he hadn't interrupted them.

Wonwoo knows whats wrong with him. He's too serious, stoic, can be rude at times. So its not so surprising if his betrothed will rather be with someone who understands him better, pays attention to him, and not easily irritated by his constant dilly dallying.

"Hyung, what is this all about?"

"I saw Prince Mingyu and Minghao together."

"And?"

"They were close."

Jihoon's eyes widen a bit, before furrowing, "What the fuck?"

Wonwoo waves a hand to dismiss the topic, "Its fine, Hoon. We don't like each other anyway. We were somewhat pushed into this whole marriage ordeal so we didn't get to choose."

"Hyung..." Jihoon tries to console him but the older laughs it off.

"I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to be with Minghao instead."

Jihoon heaves a sigh, putting an arm around his shoulders, "Hyung, don't say that. You might have misunderstood something."

"I don't think I did." Wonwoo whispers, as the younger went silent. The thundercloud grumbles softly, floating towards Wonwoo and bumps his forearm.

"Thank you." He says, gently patting it. Jihoon leans his head on his shoulder, trying to give comfort and Wonwoo is grateful for his company.

They stayed in silence for a while, only Nine's roaring could be heard until someone knocks on the door.

"Who is it?"

"Its me, Prince."

Wonwoo tells him to come in, his attendant steps inside, and bows at them before gently closing the door.

"Is there something you need, Doyoung-ssi?" He asks, Jihoon also staring at the attendant.

"Your betrothed is looking for you, Prince. He asked me for your location."

Wonwoo raises a brow at that, "Where is he? What did you say?"

Doyoung makes a gesture of pointing behind him, "He's waiting down the hall, should I allow him to come up?"

Wonwoo feels his feet grow cold as Jihoon's grip tightens on his shoulder. "Tell him I'll go down there myself."

Doyoung nods and moves out of the door. Wonwoo shares a glance at Jihoon, frantic.
"What do I do, Jihoon?"

"Talk to him, duh." He flicks the older's forehead, hoisting him up. He picks his glasses and hands it to him to wear. Wonwoo takes it, flattens his shirt and hair in place.

Walking towards the door, he breathes in and out, trying to calm his self down, and looks back at Jihoon.

"Aren't you coming with me?"

The younger grins, riding on his cloud, bids him a good luck and flies out of the window.

Wonwoo groans loudly, can't believe he has to do this on his own. 'Fuck my life.'