Chapter 15

I gazed into his blue eyes while we crossed the river, his hands wrapped around my finger as I told him we were going to be OK. We will get out of here and give him the perfect life.

That's all that matters to me now. None of this running around, chasing our tails when my dad gets close.

I WILL give him a normal life, a normal family and the childhood that Cole was robbed of.

If Alex could see me now, holding my own kid while my girl looks over at me with the biggest smile in her face.

He would be proud of me, his last words to me that day.

I'm not that scared little blonde kid who hid under the stairs, in the basement and in Alex's house every day, hiding from my dad's fists.

I didn't even have a normal bedroom, a thin mattress and a black bag were all I had in my room. No posters on the walls or a TV to watch movies, play games or even books to read.

That all left when my mum fucked off and left me with the definition of evil.

Tinted blood-stains coated the walls, areas my face usually smacked off and holes from him missing when he was drunk.

I have always been terrified I'd be like him, evil and shocking in every way possible.

I believed a handful of times that I was, trying to end my life so no one could feel the terror I once experienced.

Looking at this tiny sprog in my arms, I know I would never do anything to harm him or put him in harm's way.

My little Teddy Dawson.

No, I know the perfect way to make sure my brother lives on within him forever, protects him the way he protected me for years.

This kid in my arms will grow up to make Alex proud.

Little Teddy Alexander Dawson.

He would have been his godfather, his protector. And he still is.

When we made it back to the town hall, Thomas seemed pissed and his face dropped when he saw Teddy.

Confirmation that we are now a family.

I felt sorry for him, I really did. Once we settle in I need to pull him aside and try smooth everything over.

We were once close and I let my impulsive actions with Zara ruin that.

When Zara got her tit out, I had to look around to make sure no one was looking. I guess breastfeeding is normal.

After dropping a comment that earned me a snap from Jane, I go find Thomas.

"Hey, I need to speak to you." I tap Thomas on the back and he turns, a tight smile as we head outside.

As soon as I opened the large doors, I knew I'd regret it.

"Theo, run," Crawford whispers when Drew smacks his head with his gun.

"What the fuck?" I scowl at Drew.

"Sit the fuck down, Theo." My dad snarls from behind me, kicking the back of my legs so I fall to my knees.

Thomas follows when one of the guards forces his hands behind his head, then mine.

This cannot be fucking happening.

Can I not get one damn day where nothing goes wrong?

"Drew, what the fuck are you doing with them?" I yell at him, veins pushing through the skin of my neck. "What the fuck did you do?"