Prologue

Zhavia's Point Of Veiw
January 17, 2011

"No one is gonna mess with you." My dad assures me, while we're on the doorstep of our new home.

"But what if they do?"
"They won't."
"But what if they-"
"Zhavia, you're not missing the first day of 6th grade because you're scared, and I can't drive you to school. Just go to the bus stop and wait. Can you do that for me?" He looks at me expecting me to say yes, but can I?

I don't want to do this, it's the middle of the school year and I'm new, I never asked for this. I was fine right where I was in Colorado. "But what if there's no at the bus stop besides me and I have to get on the bus alone? Or worse, what if there are other people there and I look like a weirdo dad-" I feel tears threaten to flood my eyes, I hate this. I feel so weak. "Hey, Zhavia why don't you tell me what this is really about?" I don't want to bring up mom. I hate the thought of going to school and having to come back knowing she won't be here.

I still can't believe she's gone, but I have to be strong despite her. So I suck it up and force a smile on to my face. "Nothing, it's just a new school. I can do it, I'll be strong."

"There's my girl, need me to walk you to the bus stop?" I just look at him and scoff. "Then I'll really look like a weirdo. I've got this, I love you dad." I smile engulfing him in a hug and he hugs me back not wanting to let go. I wave to him as I walk off, and eventually I make it to the bus stop. There's no one but me at first or so it seems. Soon a kid comes of the the bus stop standing beside me. Neither of us say anything for a few minutes at first.

"I like your shirt, I used to like teenage mutant ninja turtles too. Before I realized I'm more mature than that." Its supposed to be a compliment but I come off a bit rude, I don't mean to. "Thanks, I like your shirt too." He smiles making me laugh. "You like my glittery sweater?" I ask still laughing and he blushes a little. I think he's shy so I try to lighten the mood.

"Hey, if you want I have a matching purple one to this one if you wanna borrow it." I joke and he laughs a little. "Thanks, but I'll have to pass. My names Ethan, also I'm very mature. This is my brothers shirt." He holds out his hand and I shake it. "Cool, I'm Zhavia. I'm new, I'm in 6th grade." His eyes light up. "Hey so am I." Knowing I've already kind of made a friend makes me comfortable and slip my hand back into my jacket pocket playing with the dice my mom gave me, before she left of course.

"My brothers also in our grade. He should be here soon." Before I have time to comprehend I'm caught off guard by someone scaring me. "Boo!" They yell, my hand flys out of my pocket and I accidentally throw my dice loosing it. "Gray, not cool." Ethan says to his brother who's giggling until they both realize I'm upset. My breathing becomes unstable. "Gray this is Zhavia, she's new and in our grade." I hear Ethan inform him as I look around trying to see where the dice went.

"Sorry for scaring you, I couldn't resist I'm Grayson." The boy holds out his hand trying to greet me, but I have no interest in being friends with him. That dice is all I have left. Instead of shaking his hand I shove him and he falls into a puddle ruining his khakis. "Hey!" He yells while I walk away looking for my dice. I search the ground when I find it, it's covered in dirt. I dust it off and put it back in my pocket. "She's a weirdo, i can't go to school like this." I hear the Grayson one whisper. "She can hear you, you are the stupid one who scared me. I could have lost it!" I yell upset and he just rolls his eyes.

"What? Your mind? Clearly it's already gone you freak." He says being rude, I'm already ready to fight. "Gray stop being so rude, you startled her." Ethan says taking up for me but I can handle myself. "Your defending her? My pants are ruined."

"Well you better hurry and get another pair. The bus will be here in 7 minutes. Tell Cam to hurry while your in there." I cross my arms getting ready to speak. "Great, there are more of you." I say annoyed and the Grayson one pipes up. "Hey watch it, or I'll have my sister Cam kick your butt." He says confidently, I just laugh. My dad taught me how to defend myself I could take all three of them if I had to.

"Your funny, I'd kick your butt and hers at the same time." I shrug, he looks at me like he's not afraid of my threat.

"We'll see about that."