31: Unneeded Apologies

I wasn't always this way, I used to be one with the halo

But that disappeared when I had my first taste and fell from grace

It left me in this place

Now I'm starting to think maybe you like it

I'm Not an Angel - Halestorm

The next day, Liz took it upon herself to learn more about this beautiful, foreign place. She'd explored almost every part of the castle with what time she had to roam. She'd woken up surprisingly early, the harsh sunrise waking her as the light poured into the large window of her room. When she'd decided she couldn't fall back asleep Liz decided to slip into a pair of ripped jeans and a casual t-shirt. As she'd closed her bedroom door after her, she found herself walking rather slowly down the hallway when she passed by Loki's room. Something about that place was alluring to her. It was the place he'd spent his entire life, a private inventory of secrets and forbidden entrance... and she wanted to break the barriers. But she forced herself forward, carrying herself through the over prestigious hallways and into the banquet hall.

Everyone sat there for breakfast. She tried to ignore the stares Loki offered her, but couldn't help glancing in his direction every once in a while. He was dressed rather casual as well, a simple tunic and his usual leathery pants. He still looked formal, but not quite as stiff as he usually did, or compared to what Liz normally saw him dressed in. After that was the time she took it upon herself to take some time to herself. Asgard was a breathtakingly alluring place with its blue skies and abnormally dazzling aura.

Mid-day had weaned over into early afternoon and the sun was beginning to lower closer and closer toward the horizon line. Eventually, she found herself walking through the paths of a lush and boisterous garden. Fascinating bushes adorned with pink flowers crowded the walkways and vines littered with colorful berries seemed to take over the walls of the containment. A peaceful fountain took its place majestically in the middle of the area with a streaming pool surrounding the waterfalls of water. As the dancer walked farther into the open concept Liz noticed the tall pillars that stuck up into the air. Atop the stone pillars sat what looked to be mythical creatures, like phoenixes, unicorns, and dragons. Liz continued making her way farther into the garden, and she soon realized that the farther she walked the larger the trees grew around her and the more she entered a real woods. Just as she was about to turn around for fear she'd gotten lost, she heard the whining of a horse, and immediately started in that general direction.

About a minute later as she rounded a large tree, she saw it. A stunning, powerful stallion in a small clearing. He practically took her breath away. He was large, his body covered in white and light brown like the mixing of a marble floor. His mane and tail were long and free as the wind brushed through the coarse strands of his mane. The stallion noticed her almost immediately, not startled at all by her sudden appearance. He just watched her, waited for her next moves. To Liz's surprise, he didn't flinch away when she began inching toward him slowly, her hand outstretched in caution and greeting. Liz gazed at the magnificent creature when she came face to face with it. The stallion's eyes were deep and brown, and showed no sign of surrender if she were to attack him. Liz smiled when he allowed her to pet his face.

"You hold power over any type of male, it seems," A masculine voice called from above. Liz peered upward, noticing that someone was sitting in a tree. Or rather, in a small treehouse. It was Loki. The woman smiled gently.

"I hope you're not growing jealous over a stallion, Loki," She teased as she continued stroking the horse's face. Loki was leaning against the main concept of the outside structure of the treehouse. It looked to be rather worn down, the wood was splintering and there were many areas that seemed to be more furbished in color than other parts. He smiled wryly at her from above.

"I'm surprised you found this place. Not even my brother knows how to get here."

"I'm pleased to have taken that wrong turn then," Liz called back up to him. She stroked the stallion one more time before making her way to the ladder of the treehouse and climbing to the top. When she'd reached the balcony of the house, she instantly scouted over all of the trees and nature that flowered below. The view was amazing. "I can see why you like it up here." Loki nodded absentmindedly.

"It's a good place to get my mind off of things." Liz skimmed her fingers carefully over the railing of the wooden balcony, careful not to press too hard for fear of splinters.

"What kinds of things?" He cocked an amused brow at her, not expecting her to ask about his thoughts. She looked up at him with intrigue and curiosity. She really didn't know much about him, and she couldn't deny the growing hunger to want to know more.

"Mostly avoiding everybody," He told her humorously, his voice sarcastic as he pushed off from the wall and joined her at the railing. They stood next to each other, their attention focusing back on the outer skirts of the land. Liz studied the majestic spikes of the castle and how it shimmered against the harsh sun. The sky was starting to redden with hues of orange and blue. "But since this morning I've been thinking about my mother." Her eyes lowered.

"That's right," She condoled. "I'm sorry." Loki didn't react, just continued staring out across the landscape. She stole a glance up at the prince when he continued speaking. His green eyes blazed with the reflection of the sky.

"She passed graciously, protecting her family and even those she wasn't meant to protect." Liz noticed his jaw clenching as he swallowed tensely. He then cleared his throat. "I'm sorry for your loss as well." Liz looked away sadly as she chewed on her lower lip. She didn't know what to say so she just shrugged and turned her attention back to the sunset. Several minutes of silence passed between them before she decided to say something.

"I wasn't always this way," Her voice was apologetic, almost. Like she was explaining herself, or giving him a reason to forgive her. Loki looked at her quizzically. She had a deep look on her face as if she were reaching into the most sacred place of her heart. Her hands rested on the railing in front of her. "I used to be normal. Just a kid growing up, with friends and crushes and school." She bit her bottom lip. "I used to not have a bitchy attitude or cold persona." Liz sighed. "I used to not be fucked up." Loki suddenly felt her body against his arm. She was unconsciously moving closer without knowing it. She looked up at him now, their eyes molding like fire and ice. "You once told me that you preferred to see me as I am." Loki watched her intently. He admired her eyes, how they crystalized between grey and blue, and he loved them.

"Yes." She pursed her lips, glancing at his own for a split second before returning her gaze.

"I'm afraid that if you truly knew the kind of person I've become, what I've done, what I've done to people, that you wouldn't still be here. Or me being here in Asgard, or wherever you may be." Without thinking, Loki slowly lowered his forehead down to her own, and they sat there, eyes closed, in a vulnerable state with each other.

"You can't possibly be worse than me, darling." Liz only sighed, a perplexed look painting her features.

"Everything you've seen me do is nowhere near as cruel and vile as I was during the time of the Red Room." She felt him retreated from her, the skin on her face feeling suddenly cold from the lack of warmth. She felt him take her hand. "Where are we going?" She asked Loki as he tugged her gently toward the ladder. He looked at her gingerly, but she could see the small fleck of nervousness in his eyes.

"I'm going to show you who I truly am."