Chapter 19: Memory

I spent the week with Trey and Amelia watching me. I didn't know if Nick was oblivious to it or if he chose to ignore it. It was beginning to get uncomfortable. Other than them, dating Nick brought me happiness. Whereas before, I couldn't wait to escape this town, now I didn't mind staying a little longer. 

Nick and I were getting ready to walk home after school when Amelia and Trey walked over. This can't be good.

Amelia crossed her arms in front of her chest. "We've--"

Trey let out a cough.

"Fine, I've come to a decision to accept you two dating," Amelia said, not sounding sincere whatsoever.

"Okay, thanks," I furrowed my brows. Like I've been waiting for her approval.

Trey elbowed Amelia. 

"I'm getting to it," she sent him a glare. She turned her attention to us once more. "We should double date."

My brows flew up. I did not see that coming.

This time, Trey spoke. "I think it's time we remove any bad blood between us. It's long overdue."

That was more believable.

I looked at Nick who seemed relieved, almost excited to fix things. I wanted him to be happy.

He looked down at me with a hopeful gleam.

"Sure," I caved. What's the worse that can happen? I've handled Trey and Amelia for years, this time Nick had my back.

Trey gave a wide grin, whereas Amelia didn't look as pleased. 

"Great! I'll text you the details," he told Nick.

Nick and I began our walk home. I could tell he wanted to talk about what just happened, but he wasn't.

"You can say something," I reminded him.

He gave me a bashful look. "Is it bad that I want my best friend back?"

I shook my head. "You have history, a lot of bad history, but you have good history too. He's your oldest friend."

This time Nick did smile openly. "What did I do to deserve you?"

"Die and reformed into a better human?"

Nick gave me a pointed look. "Your sense of humor never ceases to amaze me."

I gave a wide grin. "Isn't that why you fell for me?"

Nick rolled his eyes.

"Where do you think we'll go?" I asked him.

Nick pondered for a moment. "Maybe the movies, or a resto, Trey's pool house, or possibly his dad's secret cabin."

I stopped walking. "What?"

Nick opened his mouth to respond before his eyes widened. "Holy shit."

"What do you mean by secret cabin?"

Nick looked around as if nervous someone would overhear us. "His father takes women there when he doesn't want his wife to know of his infidelities. It's off the books so his wife couldn't even hire someone to look into it. Sometimes Trey takes us there to raid his father's liquor collection."

That's why Nick got an odd feeling when he saw Trey's dad calling him.

"Who knows about it?" I asked.

"Just me and Amelia," he whispered.

"Shit Nick, where is it located?" I asked, afraid of his answer.