Chapter 15: Return

Nick didn't remember anything. Nothing about us or the accident. I was going to be sick.

Trey showed up to visit. Nick was happy to see him, so different from the Nick I knew. Amelia even came. She threw herself into his arms and kissed him as if she wasn't with Trey this whole time. I really was going to be sick. Nick's teammates showed up too, as well as a few other students. Before I knew it, the whole room was filled with balloons, flowers and gifts. My father came to visit too, Nick was pleased to see him— much different then how he reacted to me. I left with my dad, no longer able to stomach being there.

I kept silent on the ride back with my dad.

"Kid... I know what you did. Trying to track down the suspect behind this was foolish. You could have easily been hurt. You should have told me or the cops. God Eva, did you not stop and think how this would hurt you? Hurt me and your mother?" My father raved.

"I'm sorry dad," I whispered.

"Are you? Do you realize the danger you put yourself in?" He asked. Yes, Nick already gave me this lecture.

"I don't know what to do with you. Car privileges have been revoked. I'm going to pick you up and drop you off to school and work and that's all," he stated his new rules.

Not like much was gonna change. With Nick back, I had no reason to leave the house. Things we're going to back to how they were. Nick was going to torment and hate me until graduation and I would want to hate him back, but the memory of what we were, what we had would never leave.

I sulked in my room for days. I felt like a zombie. School, work, home, school, work, home....

Nick wasn't discharged until after a few days. I didn't see him at school either. I didn't know what I would do when I saw him again.

"Eva!" My dad called me from downstairs. "Come down here immediately."

He was still sensitive about the whole chasing an attempted murderer.

I went down the stairs only to pause halfway. Nick was standing in the middle of our living room. His eyes met mine telling me I couldn't escape. Every moment we had came rushing back to me and it hurt. It hurt like crazy.

I went down the remainder of the steps hoping my knees don't give out on me.

"Hi..."

He looked at me uncertain. "My parents say you found my body."

I nodded.

"You really chase the man who might have done this?" He asked.

I bit my lip and nodded again.

"Why?"

How would I even explain this? We did it together, me and your ghost that was not actually dead just separated from your body?

"Everyone blamed me for your death, I wanted to clear my name and help your parents find peace," I told him half the truth.

Nick nodded his head, shifting from foot to foot.

"Thank you for that. I—" Nick choked on his words. He shook his head as if dismissing his next words. "I'll see you around, I guess."

Nick said bye to my father before stepping out. I sucked in a deep breath of air.

My father walked in, his angry expression now softened. "I know I've been hard on you kid, but you were really brave and smart and brilliant. You are an amazing person for how you helped that family. I am very proud to call you my daughter."