Chapter 6: Class

"So are you going to tell me what you've heard from spying or not?" I asked, trying to lighten the mood from Nick's depressing confession.

Nick groaned rubbing his face with his hands. "So apparently I'm not so good at football and it's about time the other players got some of the spotlight. Is that true? Like how else have we been winning?"

I shrugged. "Never watched your games, can't really compare."

His eyes widened and his lips parted. "You've never— what?! Everyone comes to watch the games!"

Of course everyone in our football obsessed town came to watch. I, however, was not obsessed with this sport.

"Never."

Nick stared at me for a long time making me feel uncomfortable.

"What?"

"Is it because of me or because you don't like football?" He asked a little shy.

I stopped to think about it, bitting my lip in concentration. "Ummm... a little of both, I guess? People worshipped you enough hours in the day, I didn't need more. Plus, I suspected that people would not make the experience pleasant thanks to you and your group of friends. Plus, it gets really annoying hearing people rave about football all the time. Did you know some people actually close their shops early to come watch the game?"

He was trying to hide a smile and failing. It was probably getting to his head.

"What else did you learn?"

His frown returned. "Other than a lot of people hating and thinking I'm obnoxious and arrogant?"

"Yes, that's basic knowledge. Something new," I waved him off. He gave me an unimpressed look.

"I found out that Amelia was cheating on me," he frowned. "I mean I know we were probably the most dysfunctional couple, but it's embarrassing. I would have preferred she broke up with me."

"You mean you never cheated on her?" I asked curiously. They did not seem to get along at all. He gave me a hard look, oh he was angry.

"I might be an ass, but I'm not a cheater. I believe in loyalty."

Yikes. Seems like he has some decency after all.

"Okay! Okay!" I put my hands up in surrender. "What I'm trying to say is Amelia? Really?"

He blushed rubbing the back of his neck nervously. "Well she's hot and captain of the cheer squad. It made sense that I'd be with her. We were the king and queen of the school in a sense."

Still did not explain why he would date the biggest bitch.

"But god she was horrible. I thought I was bad. Do you know how evil girls could be— especially if they're jealous. I once smiled at our waitress— turned out to be some girl from our school. Amelia spread some nasty rumor about her having chlamydia from sleeping with the janitor. Remember that girl?" He said looking a little pale.

Oh god. Poor Kelly. That girl ended up switching schools because of Amelia.

"Yeah, we're the more superior gender. That's why we live longer," I said trying to lighten the mood.

This made Nick chuckle. "You know Eva, you are sort of cool for a loser."

I scoffed. "That doesn't even make sense."

Nick crossed his arms and tapped one finger on his chin. "So you are saying that you're not cool?"

"Oh shut it," I said rolling my eyes with a smile. Sure he was still annoying as ever, but it was entertaining.