Chapter 9: First

Nick didn't come over last night. He didn't come over this morning. He didn't walk me to school. I was pretty sure he was avoiding me. A little selfish part of me hoped he was avoiding me, that he hadn't moved on yet. I wanted him with me a little longer. And that scared me.

I kept looking around, waiting to hear his teasing, but he never showed up.

I went to the washroom to fix my makeup when I found Amelia standing in front of the mirror. She looked like hell. Like she hadn't slept in a while. Her eyes were red. Was she crying?

"You okay?" I asked her.

"Don't act like you care Montgomery," she sneered.

"I don't," I said honestly. "But you are going through something I wouldn't wish on anyone. As a person with a heart, are you okay?"

She sucked in a deep breath. "Nothing's okay Eva. My last boyfriend died and now Trey is on this self redemption streak, that means I'm alone once again."

Did Trey dump her?

"There is a life after high school," I reminded her. "It doesn't end here. Loneliness is not eternal."

She snorted. "That's something losers like yourself say so they don't off themselves."

I don't know why I even bothered with this bitch. I rolled my eyes and went towards the exit. I bumped into someone on my way out. "Sorry."

I turned to leave without a second glance.

"Eva," the person grabbed my arm. I looked back to find Trey. "I actually wanted to talk to you."

I remembered his promise to try to make up for his past actions. Seems like Amelia was right about this whole redemption streak.

I looked around waiting for Nick to pop out and tell me to tell Trey to go screw himself or something, but he wasn't there. God, where is he?

"Sure..."

I followed Trey to the bleachers outside. They were empty for other than the few students that like to sit alone.

"Whats up?" I asked him playing with the strap of my bag.

Trey rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "The way Nick left us so fast, I've realized how short and precious life is. I've been thinking how I would want people to remember me when I leave this world. I want to be remembered as a good guy, I don't want to be the kid I was before."

"That's really good Trey," I told him. "It takes a lot of strength to admit your wrongs and fix them."

I knew it killed Nick to get it out.

Trey nodded looking thankful. "That's why I want to speak to you. I've been thinking of how I could repay you for the way I had been treating you."

"And?"

"And... I want to take you out for dinner," he said.

My brows shot up.

Dinner seemed a little extra for an apology.

"Can't we just shake hands?"

Trey chuckled. "Oh wow, I guess I'm really bad at this."