Chapter 5: Talk

I was sitting on my bed with a notebook in front of me. Nick sat on my chair spinning it around in circles. I've told him to stop, but the brat was now doing it on purpose to annoy me.

"Do you really not remember anything?" I asked him.

"Nope," Nick popped the p.

"The last time I saw you I was being splashed by Trey's car after work thanks to you. You drove away with Trey and Amelia," I said bitterly. Not a happy memory.

"Sorry." Nick stopped spinning before shooting me a guilty look. "But I don't remember that night. I don't even remember splashing you."

"That's great. Perfect," I said sarcastically. Then an idea popped into my head. "You're a ghost!"

Nick gave me a bland look. "Really Eva? I thought we went over this."

"No," I shook my head. "I mean you can go through walls and no one could see you. So you make the perfect spy. Go listen in on Trey and Amelia's conversations, find out where you three went that night." From the snippets I've heard around, apparently Nick had left them and told Trey not to pick him up the next day since he wanted to go to school a little earlier to practice. They were the last people to see him and they both had alibis thanks to Trey's home security cameras. I couldn't really go up to them and ask them what they knew. "Go walk around, follow people who you think might have been jealous of you or hated you."

Nick looked at me for a moment too long. "Wow... Why did I never think of doing that?"

"A little too many footballs to the head," I mumbled under my breath unconsciously.

"Hey!" Nick whined. "I heard that!"

I shrugged him off before leaning forward curiously. "Can I ask you something?"

I've had a lot of thoughts and questions now that I've seen Nick's ghost.

He gave me a weary look. "What?"

"What's it like being dead?" I asked.

Nick didn't seem too happy with this question.

That totally was insensitive.

I shook my hands in front of me. "It's fine, you don't have to answer it."

"No, no... I guess I owe you for helping me," he said rubbing the back of his neck. His expression darkening by the second. "I don't know... I feel empty... alone..."

In this moment I felt bad for Nick. It wasn't fair. Being alone sucked.

"I guess I made you feel like that too, huh?" He asked, a sad expression on his face. "I'm sorry."

I could tell he meant it. Because of him I had always felt alone. Always alone.

"Karma sort of sucks doesn't it," I said lightly, but Nick looked even more down.

"She's a bitch," he sighed, rubbing his hands on his face. "But then being invisible has its perks."

"I could imagine," I said doodling a flower in my notebook.

"Like not having to care how I look," he said. I nodded my head absent minded.

"And breaking into places," he listed. I let out an mmm adding a sun to my doodles.

"Like sneaking into your room and watching you change," he said, making my head snap up.

"You what?!" I screeched. My body was starting to shake as my cheeks turned deep red.