Chapter 8: Highway

I took a deep breath. I looked at Nick who nodded his head.

"Dad?" My father looked up at me from the kitchen table. "I need to borrow the truck."

He raised a brow. "Why's that?"

"I'm going to a friend's house," I lied.

His eyes widened. "Really? I mean— wow, that's great! Who is she? Or he?"

Oh god.

"It's a she," I lied again. Nick snorted. "It's Emily St. Clair from my Chemistry class."

He furrowed his brows. "Never heard of them. Maybe I should go with you, meet her parents."

"No! No!" I shook my hands. "I lied, we're not friends. We were partnered up by Ms. Leslie. I don't want to give her an excuse to make fun of me more."

He sighed rubbing his temples. "Good god Eva, you don't have to be embarrassed of me. I'm your father, I should know what's going on in your life."

"I wouldn't make a difference," I shrugged my shoulders. "I'll be fine, really. I just want the truck for a quick escape if I need one."

"Fine," he sighed pulling out his keys from his pocket. "Don't stay too late. If she gives you a hard time let me know, I'll beat up her dad for you."

This made me laugh. Nick let out a breath of air. "Thank god he liked me."

"It's fine dad, no need to beat up anyone, I'm a big girl I can handle my own problems," I assured him.

He smiled softly. "You'll always be my little girl."

I hugged him before kissing the top of his head. "Love you."

"Love you too kiddo."

I grabbed the keys and left with Nick in tow. We didn't discuss last night. He didn't seem phased by any of it, I shouldn't be either. Or I should at the very least not show it. Not show Nick that I was developing feelings for him.

I got into the driver seat and took a big breath. "Okay, wow, haven't done this in months."

"Ah crap, you really going to kill me twice Montgomery?" Nick said from the passenger seat.

"Shut up Leighton, can't you see I'm a nervous wreck?" I heaved. "Don't stereotype me."

With that I put the car in reverse looking at all the mirrors frantically. I made it out of the driveway and on to the road. Wow! I did it! I still remembered!

"Not bad Eva," Nick nodded proudly.

I drove to the road that leads to the highway. "Where am I driving exactly?"

Nick shook his head? Eyes focused on the road. "Not sure, just until something triggers my memory."

Well okay then.

I kept driving.

"Anything yet?"

"I don't know. I can't fucking remember anything," he seethed. God, he was angry.

"Hey, it's fine," I tried soothing him.

"No Eva, it's not fine. It's not ever going to be fine. I died and I have no idea how or why," he yelled.

My whole body stiffened.

"I'm sorry Eva..." he sighed.

"I get it Nick. Your short life sucked. Your afterlife sucks. But you don't get the right to take it out on me," I scorned him. "Not after everything."