Chapter 14: Chase

The next morning, I quickly got permission from my dad to take his truck and tried to sneak out of my driveway before Nick came out his parents house.

I put the keys into the ignition.

"Where do you think you're going?" Nick asked from the passenger seat.

I let out shriek, glad my car was still in park.

"Jesus Nick! You scared me! Why would you sneak up on me like this?"

"Why would you sneak away from me is the better question?" He countered. "I know where you're going Eva."

I felt my face go pale. "I'm, uh- grocery shopping."

Nick was not amused by my answer. "Get out the car Eva."

I furrowed my brows. "No."

"Eva—"

"Listen here Nick. I love you. I love that you want to protect me. I love how this is our first real argument as a couple. BUT— this is something that I need to do. If I don't do this it'll always haunt me. You can either come with me as my secret ghost weapon or you can sulk on that porch until I get back. Either way I'm going."

Nick glared at me, not saying anything for a long while.

"Fine. I'm only agreeing because I know I can't stop you, but know I'm very angry at you now."

I wide grin stretched across my lips. "Yes! Let's go Watson!"

His frown twitched up. "Stop making me laugh, I'm seriously made at you."

"But you still love me though," I raised my brows teasingly.

He rolled his eyes. "You know I'd never stop."

"I know," I smiled warmly reaching for his hand. He lifted it to his lips and placed a sweet kiss.

"Come on Sherlock, let's not waste daylight."

I grinned widely before shifting gears and hitting the road.

We walked along the lake, continuing our search for the mailbox in Nick's partial memory. Our follower was nowhere to be seen or heard.

"Maybe it's his day off," I teased.

Nick was not amused. He kept looking around us as if someone was going to pop up any second.

"Nick! You aren't even paying attention," I frowned. We could have walked past this mailbox and he would have never known.

"Do you blame me?" He took an angry step forward.

I shrunk before him feeling guilty. "Sorry."

We heard a snap. Both our heads whipped in its direction.

"He's here," whispered Nick, even though the man wouldn't be able to hear him.

"Go see his face," I whispered.

Nick nodded, taking a step forward.

"Hey! I know you're out there!" I yelled.

Nick whipped around so fast. "What are you doing?!"

I motioned for him to continue. "I know you've been following me for the past few weeks! If you've been watching closely you'll know of my ability to see the dead. Nick has told me everything. And no, I'm not crazy. I can prove it."