Chapter 4: Deal

Nick hadn't appeared since the moment I yelled at him. He wasn't there the next morning either. It was good a sign. I was not being haunted by Nick's ghost. Maybe it was the stress as being labelled a murderer. I left my house and looked outside for Nick's ghost, but he wasn't there on the porch like he usually was in the morning. I walked to school, a sense of relief that Trey was not following me with his car along with Nick teasing me. It felt amazing, maybe the big guy up in the sky was finally looking out for me. I walked to school happily only to realize how limited it was. As soon as my feet reached school grounds all eyes were on me. Whispers and pointing started again.

"Did you hear? She's the one who killed Nick."

"She's so guilty she's seeing his ghost."

"I think she's only acting crazy to get out of a prison sentence."

"Maybe she killed him because she is crazy."

I pushed past the gossipers. I didn't know how much longer I could go with this.

"You'd think they would have something better to do," said Nick. A scream left my lips as I jumped away from him.

He was back. His ghost was back.

"S-stay away from me!" I stuttered in fear. I was being haunted by Nick's ghost. In life and death, he was still tormenting me.

She's doing it again.

She so needs a doctor.

Do you think it's contagious?

"They get pretty creative don't they?" Nick said looking impressed.

I tried walking away from him, away from the madness, but Nick followed. "Eva!"

I ran into the girl's bathroom to avoid him. Girls moved out of my way, afraid of me for some reason. I washed my face at the sink trying to calm down my nerves.

"It's just a bad dream, it's just a bad dream," I whispered to myself over and over again.

"Hey! I would be a good dream! A really good dream!" Nick defended himself ever so arrogantly.

I screamed again and girls ran out the bathroom at my psychotic episode. Great, this is just great.

I turned to glare at him. "What is your problem?! Leave me alone!"

Nick put his hands up trying to calm me. "Just hear me out Eva."

"No!" I shook my head ferociously. "You make everything worse!"

"Eva, if you don't listen to me I'm going to keep following you until you do, I will sing Candy Girl continuously in my wonderful off pitch voice," Nick threatened. I shivered at the thought of horror that was to come.

"You wouldn't," I gasped, my whole body frozen in fear.

A mischevious smile spread on his lips before he took a deep breath in. "WHO CAN TAKE THE SUNSHINE! SPRINKLE IT WITH DEW! THE CANDY--"

"Stop! God, please stop," I put my hands to my ears trying to block him out. "Just say whatever it is you want to say and leave me the hell alone."

He really could not sing for his life.

Nick's whole expression turned to glee. "Okay, so I've been thinking about what you told me yesterday that I may have been mean to you over the years." I scoffed at that. May? "Okay, so I have been bad to you for years, like really bad, like so bad--"

"Are you going to keep repeating this or continue?"

"Right, sorry," Nick blushed. "So I thought maybe the reason I haven't gone to heaven or the other side or whatever is waiting for me is because I have to finish something here. Since you are the only person who could see me, that means that I have to earn your forgiveness and right my wrong. So... I'm sorry."