Chapter 10: Promise of the End (Part 2/3)

Horus was still blearily trying to adjust to the mornings light as Adrian lead him by the wrist down the hall. He had the energy of ten baby gryphons, and the temperament of six molting ones. 

          It was a truly awful combination.

          Horus stifled a yawn as they stood before Yahsha, the Queen looking just as tired as she stood outside her bedchamber with her hair still loose and untamed. "He left for a meeting in Fairez Stella. He will be returning tomorrow morning, is something wrong?"

          Adrian chuffed, folding his arms with an irritated frown. "Nothin, could've said goodbye. Where's Vera?" 

          "Her room last I checked. She's in a damper mood, I think she would like to be left be." Yahsha said, flicking some leaves out of Adrian's hair that had followed him from the courtyards. "You've done your homework, right Adrian?"

          Adrian averted his gaze. "Yeah, of course. Thanks."

          "No problem." She rubbed him on the head, seeing the exhaustion that Horus was desperately trying to cover up. "I'm surprised you two aren't swordfighting."

          "We thought of something more fun."

          The queen narrowed her eyes. "Just don't get more grounded than you already are for that dagger."

          "Yeah yeah. Best present she ever got," Adrian replied, brushing off his mother's farewell as he headed for Vera's room.

          Horus let a yawn slip. It was too early to be mediating for the Acadrius bloodline. 

          "Who was that kid that was following you at the party? He said his parents were from the royal guards, but I've asked around. The gal to lie to my face."

          Horus woke a little at the mention of the boy, furrowing his brow as he cooked up a good excuse. "Not sure. Didn't catch where he was from, not Latos I'm guessing."

          Adrian hummed with some disbelief. "Maybe Vera knows."

          "Why do you care?"

          "Looked a better sparring partner than you'll ever be," Adrian retorted, spitting with laughter as he caught the offense completely washing over Horus. "I'm kidding! Still be fun to put his face in some dirt."

          Horus followed Adrian up the steps to Vera's room, careful to keep a few steps behind so he couldn't hear his mutter. "Good luck with that."

          Adrian barely gave the door a knock before he shoved through it, singing out a greeting that was barely returned by the occupant inside. Vera was up, sat at her desk and lethargically scribbling away at some papers while Adrian tromped into her room. Her brother curiously peeked over her shoulder. He'd received similar sheets from Jackling that were still hiding under a few stacks of older homework. "Don't tell me you're actually doing homework, that servant can't do anything if you hand him a blank sheet of paper."

          Horus waved Adrian away from disturbing her, pulling up a chair to join her near the desk. Adrian was right about the fact that the whole sight was odd. Vera usually had to be held to her room to finish up her homework, and she certainly wasn't the type to wake up early and do it voluntarily.

          He caught the look on her face, somber instead of determined to do anything with the paper she was scribbling on. "Are you okay?"

          Vera's chin quivered, Horus allowing her to hide her face in his shoulder before Adrian could see her sobbing.