Chapter 5: Cursimian Roulette (Part 3/5)

Káel shivered as a trickle of icy water soaked his head, Aivry capping her waterskin as she took the bench beside him. "Better?"

          He squeezed tight when he felt the water worming its way down his collar, clenching his teeth to keep them from chattering as he nodded. Sev was giving the first team of players their positions, and Káel was grateful to be skipping a round with Jalev at the helm. It was five points or fifty push-ups for everyone, and he was the last person that would take kindly to that news.

          The first round ran quick. The Yellow House was going for the elimination tactic, and the last silver house player was knocked down a few seconds before they could win by points. Káel didn't realise he was holding his breath until Sev smacked his shoulder to call him up. He joined the circle, a phantom force tapping his chin to keep him from staring at the grass

          "Káel and Jalev are scoring points, everyone else it cutting down players."

          Káel caught Jalev's gaze for a fleeting second, but that was all he needed to catch the disappointment. Sev usually stuck him with Aivry on scoring points when they went for the elimination tactic, she was the only other one with aim.

          He reluctantly joined Jalev when he motioned for a quick meetup, following his finger as he singled out one of the players on the other team. "That one with the weird cut, he hit me out last round. Help me take him out and then we can score points."

          Káel sighed. Luck had been laughing at him for weeks, and he'd finally figured out what the punch line was.

          Even with a thick leather helmet on, he could see Buckethead's offensive cut from a mile away.

          Káel shrugged, hoping Jalev didn't notice the nerves building under his helmet. "Aivry can hit him out."

          "He's good at dodging and she's tiny," Jalev replied, throwing his arm over Káel's shoulder to keep him from wandering off to his position. "And I ain't gonna risk slugging her."

          Káel bit his tongue, giving Aivry a glance to make sure she hadn't shrunk since he last saw her. They were pretty much the same size. "Then why don't you hold him while she hits him out?"

          He felt Jalev tighten his hold, knocking his balance to the side a little. "Or you can hold him down while I hit him."

            "Or." Káel drew out his voice as Jalev's scowl deepened. Bringing up the punishment he was trying to get his team out of right now didn't seem like a wise choice. "I can score points like Sev said."

          "Fine," Jalev snorted, ripping his arm away and propping his paddleblade on his shoulder. "But if you do nothing and lose us this game, I'll pop a shocker on your mug."

          Káel kept his position by the yellow net, hoping a stray shocker chunk would come close enough for him to have an easy go at points. He certainly didn't want to be on the other side of the field. Every player except the goalies were in a chaotic fluster of grabbing arms and swinging paddle-blades. 

          Dodgeball without lines sounded a lot more fun coming from Sora's mouth.

          "Unicorn boy!"

          He tossed his attention to the side of the cluster, Jalev somehow managing to get a shot towards him before Buckethead could slam it into the grass. Káel took the easy shot, frowning as the goalie deflected it without even moving their feet.