Chapter 4: Obliteration Ball (Part 2/4)

—————

Good day my lovely readers and happy holidays! Since I celebrate Christmas Eve (too hungover to celebrate Christmas) I've dropped this special update for you all~

I found about forty listed holidays for December in my brief wiki skim, so I hope you're all having a blast with your own December traditions and holidays! Or as much of a blast as you can given that it's 2020 ;)

Instead of final exam marks, it looks like I'm waiting on my Covid test results. Yaaaaaaayyy retail.

Anyways, enjoy! I made this one twice as long!

—————

          Káel sat on one of the cushioned chairs in the middle of the assembly hall, facing the wall sized mural of the war. The Council had tried to mock the setup of an actual courtroom as much as they could, one brittle wooden chair stuck in the middle of the floor with its back to the podium where a Council sash draped over it.

          He could see every representative but Ariabella already settled into a row of seats on the floor, Mr. Greine keeping out of his seat as he tried to discreetly skim a stack of que cards before the session started. 

          "It's a decent turnout," Mr. Skyfell whispered, skimming over the handful of students that filled less than a tenth of the seats divided by the five houses. Most of the faces Káel recognised were elites, and most of the faces he didn't had silver stripes on their uniforms. Káel caught Sora's massive wave while skimming faces, noticing the cluster of his friends sat as close as they could to the floor - and Horus just a few rows back.

          Káel looked to the podium as a woman approached it, dressed the same as the judge he'd had before, but barely rising over the obstacle in front of her with the help of a wooden block. Through her aged face and bony figure Káel wouldn't have made the connection that in front of him sat Mrs. Floyd.

          She had Horus' height, and perhaps his sneer, but nothing else. 

         Káel flinched as the doors slammed, relieved when he saw Ariabella rushing towards them. She only stopped at Skyfell's side for a few seconds, whispering into his ear without changing his frown in the slightest. 

          He finally smiled when Ariabella finished. "How is your case against Rudas?"

          "I should have him distracted for long enough," Ariabella replied, flicking her gaze to Káel with a respectful bow of her head. "This session is the one that matters."

          Ariabella quickly found her seat with the other representatives, nestling between Mr. Hazel and Kerris as Mrs. Floyd shot her a dirty look.

          "Don't do anything we'll regret," Mr. Skyfell muttered. "She can be a nasty piece of work, but it's possible to get on her good side."

          "She doesn't seem that bad," Káel whispered. "Just a little tired..."

          "That's the spirit."

          "Now that all the representatives have decided to show up, we can commence." Her gaze landed on Káel as everyone quickly found their seats. "The trial of Káel Aeric has started. In light of new evidence, an investigative period was offered, and the charges amended."

          Mr. Skyfell frowned, trying to catch something off Mr. Greine's flat expression.

          "Káel Aeric, you stand on trial for the practice of ancient lumience, harbouring a Novan fugitive, and aiding in its escape - including all charges pinned in that incident."