Chapter 5: Cursimian Roulette (Part 4/5)

—————

I'm late! I was patching the last few finals, and working through an upcoming project.

But heyooo, an update!

—————

          Winning felt better than it should have.

          Getting Buckethead out for the rest of the game had tipped the scales in their favour to score a win, and Káel finally felt like he'd earned the right to walk back to Cobalt with his team. 

          Chatter of the game surrounded him, his friends mingling with his team, and Vera seemingly stuck listening to a one-sided conversation with Sora. 

          Aivrey pulled up beside Jalev, elbowing his arm with a smirk. "That poor guy won't be able to take a penalty shot without fainting."

          "Can't score a goal two feet in front of ya, but if there's a nose you're cracking it!" Jalev boomed, rubbing the good side of Káel's head as he tugged him in close. "Bet that clanger didn't help, that guy almost took Unicorn Boy's head off with that paddle-blade!"

          Káel had to force the laugh on that one. The dulled throb in his left temple let him know that Buckethead definitely got a good crack at his skull regardless. What he'd thought to be a splash of water on his face had dried by the end of the game to something sticky, and he could only imagine what he looked like right now. 

          He could already hear the sigh Ms. Metulas would have for him.

          As he continued the conversation, he found his attention wandering to the ground. Before Ariabella's words could prop his chin up, he was caught by a bright object mingled into the gravelly dirt. 

          A red feather.

          Smaller than his thumb, yet somehow twice as bright.

          Twice as dreadful to see.

          He stopped to grab it, feeling Stella pinch into his combat suit for a steady hold on his shoulder. "It is unsanitary to collect feathers Káel Aeric."

          He laughed at the parenting scold in Stella's tone as he rose, the feather still refusing to leave his grasp as he twirled it to catch the light. "Sorry. I just don't see red feathers a lot."

          "There is a species here, the Red Tailed Throat Sal," Stella replied. "They sound like screaming dogs."

          "Pests will steal a sliv right out of your hand too," Jalev added.

          "Right," Káel replied, the feather fluttering from his fingers as his fears continued to grow. His last conversation with Phantom had been four days ago.

          And now his final message was ringing in his head.

          It's fine, I'll handle it.

          He looked back at the feather, grounding his feet and looking around at the people that had stopped with him. "Did Skyfell leave already?"

          "He was still in the stands with that Garaean Representative and Griene when I left, so I don't think so," Sora replied. "Why?"

          "I forgot to give him something," Káel lied, realising his hands had already slipped into his pockets when he caught Vera's squint. "Was Ariabella with him at least?"