Chapter 8: Shiorellus' Tears (Part 2/4)

—————

 Just popping an update or two in case the sun randomly rises at 11:59 PM sometime next week.

We'll see. 

Don't forget to show whatever support you can for Ukraine, and remember that just because someone is Russian doesn't mean they support P-boy's trigger finger. 

Toodles ;)

—————

         It was the end of the painfullest slumber party in history. 

          Vera had exorcised her birthday immunity to raid a closet of nearly all its bedsheets, and prop them up as a haphazard blanket fort in her room. It was the perfect mess for the boy to hide in when someone walked in without knocking, but also a tight fit when it came time for sleeping. 

          Vera had been ushered away at the crack of dawn for the maids to prepare her outfit, which left the boy in Horus' care. He had to get the two of them ready, and hope to the gods that the boy picked up at least half of the common Latos mannerisms he had taught him. But all of that was to the side as Horus stared at the boy tucked into a corner of the blanket fort. 

          Horus didn't know what was weirder. The way he held a few flowered bauble pins out the side of his mouth as he sewed, or the fact that he looked like a seasoned seamstress as he cinched the waist on a pair of pants Vera had swiped from Adrian. The cut was tall enough for him, but he hadn't half the weight Adrian did. It was a problem that had Horus on his toes, but the boy seemed to be just as handy with needles and scissors as he was with blades.

          He cut the string with his teeth, snapping the black pants to test the seams. Horus went back to getting himself ready. Aside from needing a comb and perhaps a smaller bandage for his forehead, the boy was doing well enough preparing on his own. The only real problem was getting him out of Vera's room without the guards seeing.

          Horus stiffened as there was a knock on the door. He waited for the blanket fort to finish shifting as the boy squeezed into his hiding spot, answering the door with a faltering smile. He looked up at his father, heart skipping at the stern frown on his face. 

          He dipped his head. "Good afternoon, Father."

          He looked over Horus' head, knowing the answer before he even asked. "Princess Vera is not in there?"

          "No, she is preparing for her celebration. She asked me to wait for her."

          "His Majesty will be arriving soon, you should be there to receive him," his father said, looking over the blue vest Horus wore. His lip twitched. "Gertrude would also like to see your outfit before you present yourself to anyone."

          He kept his head low, his heart sinking at the name. She was still meant to be in Gandrun until the Ashville Plains were cleared of Novan scouts. "Mrs. Floyd is here?"

          "She arrived this morning." His father pulled from the door, taking two steps before looking back at Horus. "Come."

—————

          It had been a little over an hour since the nosy boy named Horus had been dragged off. But the silence finally let him work without prying eyes. The size of the pants had allowed him to stitch pockets inside, just big enough for a dagger to hide beneath the folds on either side. Horus had likely thought he was being smart when he hid his old clothes and daggers from him, but the presence of magic in the air always escaped Lumer senses.