Chapter 10: Promise of the End (Part 1/3)

This is definitely meant to say Chapter 10. Sorry guys - I never said I could count.

        The night lit up with bright orange flames, glowing through the thick smoke as the scarlet dragon twisted and wailed. The boy pulled Vera back down as she tried to stand, a pillar of fire singing his cheek as it barely missed them.  

          Vera ran to the dragon, ignoring its hisses and snapping jaw as she tried to lift one of the heavy metal spears tied to the net. "It's okay." She soothed, finally pushing it off the dragon's wing. "You're gonna be alright just stay still."

          The boy grabbed her, ripping her away from the ensnared and wounded dragon as it thrashed its head to try and strike her. Instead of thanking him for the quick save, her gaze fell to the blades sheathed in his belt. "Help me cut her loose!"

          The boy shook his head. "Dangerous."

          "She's not dangerous! Her name's Sinnalyn! She's just scared!" Vera yelled, grabbing one of his blades while she squirmed out of his hold and went back to the dragon.

          As Sinnalyn saw the glistening knife she let loose an enraged roar, flailing in the heavy net and spewing flames everywhere except the space Cinder protected.

          After some effort Vera cut through a portion of the net, straining to drag one of the heavy metal spikes off the dragon. Sinnalyn paused, shaking the weight off and watching Vera go for the next tangle of rope. Vera glared back at the boy. "If you're not gonna help then go away!"

          He sighed, pulling his other knife out and cautiously approaching the still dragon as it let off shallow breaths of fear. He sliced through the ropes pinning down her neck, carefully pulling out the chunk of metal that had dug into her shoulder and pushing it to the side.

          By now Sinnalyn had grown calm, lying on the ground whimpering while the two children untangled her. As the shock wore out she recognized the girl, but hadn't seen her in some time, not since Lanskriez was captured, not since the war.

          The two children shoved the last chunk of metal off her, untangling the remaining ropes off of her claws and horns. She lifted to her feet with a groan, putting more weight on one of her front paws than the other that was dripping from a deep wound.

          She drooped her head to Vera, sniffing at her satchel that smelt of Shiorellus. Not the reeking stench of his death but the sweet scent of his blessing, it was the girl that had visited them so many times before.

          "Your hurt," Vera stared at the gash in Sinnalyn's arm. "I brought some bandages..." She pulled out a pitifully small bundle of cloth, barely getting it around Sinnalyn's arm once as the dragon tapped her head comfortingly. "I wish I could use healing lumience," she sniffled.

          "That will do, thank you little one," Sinnalyn said, her voice a soft hiss. "You shouldn't be here, you nor that Garaean. My kin now bite before smelling."

          Vera checked her shoulder where the boy stood. "Garaean?"

          His gaze drifted to the ground as he replied with a small wave.

          She tucked that detail to the side, looking out over the field of smoke where the dragonlord sat. "Is Shiorellus...?"

          Sinnalyn sighed. "Yes little one. There was an arrow of light. A weapon of Novan magic crafted by the gods. The king couldn't have fired it on his own... they whisper he had help."