Chapter 1: The Crownless Queen (Part 1/2)

————— 

And here is where the story starts!

—————  

         "Káel Aeric, you stand before this council in discussion of the charges laid against you."

          Káel pushed back into the cushioned chair. He wasn't standing before anything. The chair's black cushions and groaning wooden joints had been his second home ever since the Council summoned him to trial in Latos' capital, Listillvice. His first home was now one of the guest bedrooms of Cilvren's castle, where he could at least spend the rest of his summer with one of his friends, Vera.

          The speaker and most of the lavender laced Council members hadn't changed. The script hadn't changed. The only difference today was that they'd finally be deciding on his charges. The last hurrah for Mr. Rudas against the merciless blades of his uncle's words, who took defending him like a pleasureful pastime game. Guests could finally sit in and watch the show, stuck to the highest level of seating to stare down the stadium of white stone carved full of Council insignia.

          And now, looking around the filled seats of Council members taking part in his trial, he could pick out a few more familiar faces. Lady Samanthra and Mr. Mudelin sat right next to his majesty Cilvren, with Ariabella and his uncle's two guards sat closest to the small expanse of marbled flooring Káel was stuck in next to his uncle. 

          Mr. Rudas was standing at the edge of the floor, right next to a podium that seated a frowning judge in the Council colours of white a lavender. 

          "Both sides have finalised their argument, and all available witnesses have been summoned, and their statements recorded. We stand in discussion of the charges laid against Káel Aeric upon his Council arrest, the practice of ancient lumience on multiple occasions, and the harbouring and aiding of a Novan fugitive."

          Káel breathed out a sigh, readying his sanity for three hours of old backwards rich dudes theorising why he freed his friend.

          Suddenly, the massive doors leading to the rows of mostly empty Council member seats swung open, and Mr. Lightwood strolled in, pausing in confusion when he saw all the eyes glued to him. " Wait... Has it already started? I could've sworn I got here early..."

          The judge narrowed his eyes. "This case is currently in session, that level is only open to invited persons. State your name and business here before proceeding any further."

          "Mylo Raian Lightwood... Pleasure to be here your honour," he said with a courteous bow. "Now then, I think I was summoned here because a student got arrested... For running through the halls at night?"

          "For harbouring and aiding in the escape of an ancient Novan," the judge corrected.

          "Close enough." He gave the judge a patronising smirk. "May I take a seat? Or is there a better use of my time?"

          "You're a key witness to this investigation, please take a seat until called upon or questioned."

          "Yes your honour," Mr. Lightwood replied, casually taking a seat near Lady Samanthra and ignoring her scolding frown.

         "This should go quick," Elisious muttered, paying Mr. Rudas a hollowed smile when the representative caught his gaze. "Just remember what you have to do."

          "Shut up unless the judge asks me a question, hard to forget," Káel muttered back, adjusting his position to move as far from his uncle as he could get on the chair.

COBALT: The Sovereign's Stratagem (Book Two)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें