sweet night - taerosé

chaeyoung was trembling. her heart was pounding in her chest as she listened to the voice in her headphones, singing a sweet melody. she half wanted to believe she was overthinking about this, but how can she?

On my pillow
Can't get me tired
Sharing my fragile truth
That I still hope the door is open
’Cause the window
Opened one time with you and me
Now my forever's falling down
Wondering if you'd want me now

reminiscing the night where she and him were awake one night, sleepless and overwhelmed, she exhaled a shaky breath. she remembered the look on his face- the scared, vulnerable, fragile expression he wore. the fear of losing everything he has right now was so vivid in his eyes, it was hard for her to forget it. that night, she knows they both felt something. something profound that moved them.

I'm wondering, are you my best friend?
Feels like a river's rushing through my mind
I wanna ask you if this is all just in my head
My heart is pounding tonight, I wonder
If you are too good to be true
And would it be alright if I
Pulled you closer

her phone was right in front of her. all she had to do was call him up, ask him if she's right or just going crazy. this feeling was too overwhelming for her. it choked her throat, forcing tears to well up on her eyes. but she can't just cry yet.

How could I know
One day, I'd wake up feeling more
But I had already reached the shore
Guess we were ships in the night, night, night

she had to know. she had to know if he felt the same. she had to know if she was the person he was thinking of while writing these words, while thinking of the melody.

she called him. within the first few rings, he picked up.

"hey." said the same voice that was singing earlier.

"t-tae..." her voice broke. she couldn't help but cry while hearing his voice. the song was emotional to begin with, and she has attached feelings to it now.

"chae." he softly said her name, as if it was the most delicate word. "did you hear it?"

"the song... who were you thinking of?" she asked straight forwardly. she was done waiting, feeling emotions alone. no matter how much time they spent together, it wasn't enough. she wanted more. she needed more.

there was silence for some moments, before he spoke. "isn't it obvious?"

tears were rolling down her cheeks now. too much; he makes her feel too much too quickly. it's unfair.

"t-tae..." she called his name again. she didn't know what to say. "we can't... you know we can't." she sobbed.

"chaeyoungie... even if we can't ne together, i'll spend all my life loving you." he spoke, which pulled a string in her heart. she cried harder, burying her face in her knees. he just sat silently, letting her cry, until he said. "hey... don't cry so much. your tears are precious."

"y-you can't do this..." she cried.

"do what?"

"make me feel so much. it's unfair. you can't make me fall in love with you and not be together with me."

"chae... i want nothing more than to be with you until the day I die." he said. "and if we could, and if you wanted, I would risk it all right this moment."

"I-I can't... you'll be ruined... I'll be ruined... this is a d-disaster..." she cried.

"I know..."

a silence enveloped the phone call, the only sounds being chaeyoung's heavy sobs.

"baby, don't cry..." he said again.

"i-i want to... b-but I can't a-afford to... r-risk everything..." she stammered.

"i know.. hey.. I understand okay? I'm not asking for anything... I just want you to know where I'm at."

"I l-love you..."

that was the first time she has said that to him in this manner. normally, they say it to each other all the time platonically. but this time, the meaning was too deep, too raw.

he paused for a moment, before replying to her in a tone softer than ever.

"I love you too..."