in life and in death - rosékook

"Chae... Don't do this..." Jungkook panted as he kneeled on the ground, sweat covering his entire face and dripping down on the dry ground. He looked up at the girl holding a gun to his head, eyes red and full of tears.

"I have to... I have no choice." She said, voice obviously shaking and hands trembling.

"I'm not the enemy, Chae..." He said.

"I know! But he'll kill everyone if I don't kill you." She said. "Your family, my mom and sister. Everyone." Chaeyoung said, as tears rolled down her cheeks. She was trembling, barely able to hold the gun still. It would be hard to believe that she's considered as the best shooter in the city.

Jungkook helplessly stared at the girl. "Let's run away. We will start a new life.. away from all this–"

"IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE!" Chaeyoung bawled, creasing her eyebrows and gritting her teeth. "Our families are in danger! And I can't put their lives on stake for our love!"

Tears finally escaped Jungkook's eyes as he looked on the ground and sobbed, defeated and exhausted.

"This can't be it..." He cried. "I can't believe this is how we end."

He had nothing else to say as he patiently waited for her to pull the trigger. She had no choice, and he wouldn't want anyone to die for him, even if it meant accepting death himself. He understands...

But even after a few minutes he didn't feel any sharp pain in his body, not even the sound of the trigger or the bullet shooting out of the gun. Just Chaeyoung's loud sobs. He looked up at her, and saw that she had lowered the gun and was now crying hard with her face buried in her palms.

"I-I can't do this.... I can't k-kill you and then live with myself after that... I-I can't.. J-Just can't..." She murmured. Jungkook sniffed and slowly got up from the ground, stumbling a little as he balanced on his feet.

He took a step closer to Chaeyoung, and held her wrists gently, yet firmly, carefully pulling them away so he can see her tear stricken red face. Her hair was a mess, and her eyes were redder than ever. He had never seen her cry this hard, and it broke his heart into a million pieces.

"'Oh, Chaeyoung..." He softly said, pulling her into a hug which she so easily melted into. She dropped the gun, and wrapped her hands tightly around Jungkook's well built body. She buried her face into his chest, inhaling the scent of his leather jacket, mixed with perspiration and his strong cologne.

He softly kissed her hair, tightening his strong arms around her petite body as he fought back his own tears. He can only imagine how hard it must be for her. She has to do it, he's not mad at her. He wants her to know that.

"I'll do it." He said, closing his eyes shut as he spoke those words.

Chaeyoung lifted her head to stare at Jungkook who slowly opened his eyes and smiled. He was forcing himself to smile, so that it might get easier for her. For them.

"I'm ready to do whatever it takes to keep you and our families safe. Even if it means not to live anymore." He said, voice trembling, yet he refused to lose his smile.

"I-I can't... I can n-never..." Chaeyoung said, shaking her head furiously. She knows he's trying to be strong for her, which made it even harder for her to do the job.

"Hey. Hey!" Jungkook said, holding her face in between his hands so she can look at him. "I understand. You can do this. I know he's going to make sure you're the one who killed me, some way or other. Your father is very clever, he'll know if it was suicide or murder."

"I can't live with myself if I did this." Chaeyoung sobbed. "I can't live without you."

Jungkook smiled and rested his forehead against hers. He gently pecked her lips, and stayed like that for some time, as if memorising how good her soft lips feel against his own. And it also felt like Chaeyoung did not want the moment to end either, as she tightened her grip on his jacket.