Chapter 10

Four days it took for me to get back, weak as fuck and tired.

I practically dragged myself all the way back to camp, ignoring all the stares as I threw myself into my tent and lay on the bed.

I couldn't see her, Zara.

I heard every single word my dad barked at me while being on the ventilator, every slap across the face while I was unable to move.

His threats.

The people he threatened if I didn't get my shit together.

Fucking hell, I can barely breathe without feeling like I'm suffocating again.

"You look like shit." Alex pulls down the zip behind him, two beers in hand.

"I'm not in the mood for company." I wince when try to sit up, grasping at my ribs.

"Perfect! Me too, so we can chill out, drink beer and talk girls." He taps a beer and hands me it.

He struggles with being told no.

"Fine, did anything happen while I was away?" I take a big chug of the beer and put my head in my hand.

"I slept with Claire." He grits his teeth at me with a big cheesing grin. "She wants me to keep quiet about it though."

"About time you shagged her." I laugh, then wince again at the aches.

"You want to talk about it?" He gestures to my bruised arms and face. I shake my head and try to change the subject, if he knew every detail I know he will be up there within seconds.

If he knew that my dad was told everything about Zara and I, making me strangle one of my friends for punishment so he didn't target Cole.

He would lose his shit if he knew they dislocated my bones, smashed my body with bricks and finally submerging me in ice-cold water.

I nearly lost it, close to snapping my dad's neck. If I failed then I wasn't scared for myself, I was scared for Alex, for Drew, mostly for Zara and her brother.

"Zara has been on my ass for days asking me where the fuck you are. She actually grabbed my arm at one point too, scary little fucker. Are you gonna go see her?" He asked, taking another drink of his beer.

The whole time I was away all I could picture was her face, her freckled sun-kissed skin, long brown hair falling over her shoulders. Her light blue, piercing eyes were taunting me while I felt the water fill my lungs too.

"And say what? That I just went a walk for a few days and came back beat up?" I snap at him, not meaning to but my patience is a bit fucked up just now.

I hear the zip fumbled and brace for storm Zara, kicking and huffing when it jams.

"Better think fast." He raises his brows and jumps up to let her in.

"I'll see you later, try to get some sleep, man." He waves over his shoulder and smiles at Zara, who looks like she may kill him, or me.

She is about to let loose when she screws her face up at my body, walking over and sitting on the bed next to me.

"Why do you always look like someone beats the shit out of you? And where have you been?" She asks, curling her legs under her with shaky hands on my knees. "Don't lie."

I can't tell her the truth, I also don't want to lie to her. Instead, I grab the back of her head and my lips crash on hers.

I just can't seem to follow orders.

Her arms wrap around my neck and then her legs around my waist, our tongues finding a deep rhythm while my hands explore her body.

Zara pulls her head back, lips parted and already heavily breathing. "I missed you." She whispers so innocently that I nearly say it back.