Chapter 2 - Lunch yes! Date no!

Start from the beginning

"Grace. Beauty! Wow, so manly." He made to pay for the bill, but she paid her half fiercely, so he paid for his half.

"Come on! For me", she said in her most persuasively sweet voice, fixing her dark brown eyes on his. Her eyes had a remarkable depth that so many others lacked. They were precisely a very dark brown. But behind her spectacles one would think they are black. Maybe he should go with her after all. It was only a  stupid dance! And besides...

"No", he said in a firm voice, shaking his head and shutting his eyes. Man, she was hypnotizing him!

"Fine then!", she said. He opened his eyes to find her visibly fuming. She turned around and walked out of the cafeteria.

***

He checked his watch.  Ah! Only thirty minutes more. Today was a tiring day! Not physically, but mentally. He longed to give his mind some rest. He looked at his watch once again. Twenty Nine minutes.

Just then his iphone buzzed: Come to the cafeteria ASAP!

It was Siya. He hoped it was not about that stupid dance class.

The cafeteria was empty except three tables so he easily spotted her. Her cute little self making him feel all warm and happy just by her presence. How she managed to do that everytime he failed to understand! As he walked closer he realised she wasn't alone. With a jolt of irritation he realised there was a young man of about their age sitting with her. His features seemed vaguely familiar. Dark hair falling into his chocolate brown eyes, a neat nose and a neat smile. What girls would call handsome. Abhi snorted at the thought. He was wearing a half-sleeve T-shirt looking completely out-of-place in their overly formal office, undoubtedly showing off his biceps.

The pair of them looked deep in conversation. Abhi saw she was laughing her tinkling laugh. He felt hot in the pit of his stomach. So that idiot was making her laugh now! It was not until he reached their table that they noticed him.

"Abhimanyu Acharya!", he got up, flashing his teeth in a way it made a smile, holding out his hand.

"Manav Darshan," Abhi smiled a fake smile and took the outstretched hand shaking it, "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

They both took their seats. Manav replied, "I am in Mumbai for six months, you know my company transferred me to a higher post. Thought I would drop by to see you guys. It's been such a long time!"

"I know almost three blissful- I mean- long years."

Siya shot him a sharp look, but he stared back determinedly at her, making her cheeks redden.

"So I was just telling Siya how beautiful she looked. Only, I wished to see her hair falling on her shoulders", Manav was looking at Siya flirtatiously, while she blushed and Abhi had clenched his fingers to a tight fist. How dare he think about her shoulders!

"I like it tied!" He said before he could stop himself. Siya blushed deeper, while Manav smiled.

"So you two are together now?" He asked.

"No!", both of them replied in unison.

"Good! I might well do with a few lunch dates, what say Siya?", Manav said smirking a little.

Abhi felt like punching his stupid face to pulp.

"Hmm... we'll see!", Siya replied, looking a little uncomfortable now.

 Why couldn't she just say no??? Abhi thought, anger starting to build up inside him.

"How about tonight? Seven?", Manav looked at Siya, flashing another smile.

But it was Abhi who replied through clenched teeth, "No we are going for waltz classes."

He didn't know what made him say that. Siya was looking at him with utter surprise.

"You'll come?", she asked her eyes wide. She could swear her heartbeat had increased.

"Yes."

"Oh, Abhi, I love you." She was so excited she leant over him and kissed his cheek. Her childish excitement made him laugh, all his anger drowned the moment her lips touched his cheek.

Manav cleared his throat, raising an eyebrow questioningly. Siya blushed again, withdrawing her hands from around Abhi's neck. She was always so impulsive and carefree around Abhi, that sometimes she forgot that there were people around them.

"Oh, no", she said quickly, "We are just friends! We have been brought up in the same house. You know that!"

"Of course! So then how about a lunch date tomorrow?" Manav pressed. She wanted to say no...but it would be impolite.

"Lunch yes! Date no!"She finally said.