7 - Dead or Alive + Monty

MODERN AU

MODERN AU

Puddles. Great. You look around the path you have just turned into, mud coats the ground shadowed by huge oak trees. Late August walks have been the most enjoyable activity for you lately, exploring the vast national park in search of berries.

Of course you had that ever present thought in the back of your mind, 'Will I ever see that guy again?' You have only seen 'that guy' five times to be exact. Even though you have never exchanged a word, you still felt drawn to him somehow.

The first time he was drawing plants, the second and fourth walking his huge Bordier Collie, the third planting flowers but it was the fifth time you really began to notice him. He was picking berries.

As you stepped into another puddle you heard something. That something was not just water splashing, it had a distinct canine sound to it making you immediately turn around. A Bordier Collie comes towards you and you can instantly feel your heartbeat increasing as you pet her. You check the collar and it tells you her name is Wilma

"Hello there Wilma," You say as you scratch behind her ear, she instantly begins to relax and nudges closer to you, "Be careful, my dungarees weren't made to withstand dog. Lost your owner, huh? Well they're missing out," She tries to get to the berries in your basket behind your back, "Hold on there, I am not going to give my berries away to just anyone."

You stand up and fumble around in the basket for a slightly squashed one to give to the dog.

"She likes blackberries," A voice says - it's him. Inevitable wasn't it? But your heart is still beating fast as you both look each other up and down. He is around the same height as you, maybe a tad taller and he is wearing slightly baggy jeans and a purple jacket. A headphone lead is falling out of his basket. Wilma immediately goes running causing you to jump slightly, "She's harmless really."

"Yeah..." You look down at your feet, no stop. You've been thinking of this boy since the beginning of the summer and you finally have the chance to talk to him, don't mess this up.

Suddenly Wilma comes running back to get the blackberry in your hand, "She always was a sucker for girls." He tells you.

"She's very cute," You say scratching her back, "Wish I could have a dog like this one."

"Got her since she was just a pup, Mom wasn't that happy though," He began to walk towards you.

You snicker, remembering the times you spent with your mother on holiday, before she went away with the military. That's why you moved back here to your dad's hometown, where you had grown up, downsizing slightly.

"Monty." He says outstretching his hand. You grasp it and smile. A bell rings in your head, Monty Green? Your ex-neighbour who lived across the street.

"Monty Green? You're the one who almost burnt my house down because you added the wrong herb to the chilli?" You ask with a smile.

"Y/N? No way! I heard you moved back but I was at summer camp, this is great! I didn't recognise you at all. And don't remind me, Mom wouldn't let me go near you for the next month."

"You were a crazy ten year old." You had spent four years of your life in this town, you weren't out-going so you had no idea that you would bump into any of your childhood friends. You begin to walk alongside him with no destination in mind.

"What happened to Jasper?" You can't deny that you did have the slightest crush on him in your pre-teen state, but that stopped when you found out he wasn't fond of sweets, he only liked chocolate. Still a better love story than Twilight.

"He was sent to boarding school just after you left."

"Seven years go by in a flash," You say, not mentioning how those 7 years were harder than you ever imagined, "That must have been tough for you."

"Yeah but then I got Wilma and... I was alright."

Together you find your way to a bench and you instantly plummet down together, hearing the bench creak under the weight. It's as if nothing has changed since you were ten years old.

"I see you're a music lover." You say pointing to the earbuds.

"Yeah, helped me through when Jasper moved."

"Let me guess, indie?"

"Rock actually." This shocks you slightly.

"No, Monty Green is not into rock music!"

"Well maybe Monty Green is, I never thought that you would be a dog person. Things can change. "

"Juke Box Hero or Wanted Dead or Alive?" You question him as you stand up, maybe it's the bitterness of the berries or the rush of seeing Monty again, but you're feeling brace.

He thinks for a minute, looking impeccably cute, "Bon Jovi is a winner all the time." He says, time to blow him away, you suddenly start to rethink this whole idea. Well you might as well go big. No turning back.

"It's all the same only the names will change," You sing outstretching your hand, he sits there astonished but grasp your hand gladly, "Everyday, it seems we're wastin' away."

"Another place where the faces are so cold," His pitch perfect performance surprises you and your mouth has visibly dropped, "I drive all night just to get back home.".

"I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride," You sing and smirk. Just like old times, but both of you have changed, but he's still Monty and you're still you, "I'm wanted dead or alive," Monty stares at you, not completing the next lyric, "Monty what's wrong?"

He moves towards you and gives you the biggest hug on earth. Singing that song and being with him had given you all your confidence back. Yet now you feel like all of that has been taken back by one hug, "I am so glad you're back. You're just what I needed."

"Ditto. And I have berries and rock music, what else could be better."

"Come on let's get home." He says taking your hand. Maybe he could be your boyfriend eventually but for now he's your best friend.

"Just don't set the the house on fire this time! " You both start running with Wilma at your side.

"I was ten!"

"That's no excuse!"