The saddest part was, she was the one thing he couldn't have, the person he wasn't allowed to touch. She was the dark star and he was the supernova. Yet their polarity only intensified the desire consuming him. It was the first time Fuji understood what it meant to want, and he was in misery.

***

Several months later was Masa Masayuki's millennial birthday. To commemorate the Masa family's contributions to the immortal realm, lavish festivities were held for an entire week. Being the archangel, Fuji was invited as an honorary guest. Out of courtesy and respect to the Masas, he made an appearance alongside the Creator to offer his respects.

As he sat at the head of the table with the Masas, murmurings from the gods caught his attention. Around him came whispers about the bastard child and her pathetic attempt to enter.

"She had guts to show up and ask to be granted entry," one said.

"Shame on her for not knowing her place," another spat. "It serves her right to be turned away. Doesn't she know she's the symbol of disgrace around here?"

"Clearly not. She has no clue her existence is nothing but a nuisance!"

Fuji took a sip of water to conceal his anger. Moments later, he feigned fatigue and left for the day.

After leaving the Masa palace, he rushed to Ayuna's cottage and pounded on the front door. When no answers came after several rounds of knocking, he entered through the garden gates.

Sure enough, he found her curled up on the back porch. She wore a deep blue dress, its sequined hem dusted with a layer of starry sparkles. Despite it being midday, the surreal dress made it seem as if the night sky was laid out by her feet. Knees tucked to her chin, Ayuna's eyes were far away as she gazed at the lavender field, her thoughts in a distant world.

Walking up next to her, Fuji placed a hand on her shoulder.

Ayuna recoiled from his touch. When she swiveled around, he saw that her face was streaked with tears. Meeting his eyes, she hastily tried to wipe them away and told him not to look. 

Instead of turning away, he reached out and held her hand. "It's okay to be sad," he said. "You can cry if you need to."

"I don't want to cry," she croaked. "I should've seen this coming. Of course the Masas wouldn't want me there. Of course they'd resent me. I was naive to hope they might see me as a part of the family, when the truth is, I'm an eyesore."

"That's too bad for them," replied Fuji, "for not knowing you or even wanting to."

Ayuna shook her head. "I don't blame them for not wanting me. I remind them of the worst. It's reasonable for them to wish I never existed."

Unable to console her, Fuji released an inaudible sigh. He moved in and pulled her close. Just like the first time he had her in his arms, she tried to fight back while he held on. When she finally surrendered, he heard her whisper, "I'm sick of this—sick of being prisoner to a place that I clearly don't belong to. Why can't the Creator let me leave when I'm hated by everyone?"

"Don't you think you're forgetting about someone who doesn't feel that way?"

"I don't mean to offend you," said Ayuna, distancing herself. "But you can't watch over me forever. Sooner or later, this assignment will end."

He looked at her with a sad smile. "That's awful to say, you know?"

"Isn't it true?"