54. The Other Woman

While Noa and Atobe ran off, Shiraishi briefed Ayuna on what happened. Aware of Noa's tendencies, she asked Shiraishi to keep watch of any stir-ups while she went searching for her friend.

Rounding the perimeter of the Utsubo Tennis Center, Ayuna found Noa at the edge of the adjoint rose garden. Her red hair was windblown and she was panting. Ayuna slowed her gait. Up close, she saw that in contrast to Noa's ruffled appearance was an unprecedented calm in her speech.

"Let's go," she said to Ayuna when their paths crossed. "I'm good to go back in."

Ayuna was skeptical. "Are you sure? If you need time-out today..."

Noa shook her head. "Don't be ridiculous. All the stakeholders and chairs are here for the first day, each one of them hoping to speak to us. As Hikari's acting vice-president, what would it look like if I ditched?"

Ayuna refrained from questioning her decision. With a slight nod, she led Noa back to the event venue.

For the rest of the day, they made sure to steer clear of Atobe. Thankfully, requests for short on-site interviews and foundation committee visits kept Ayuna and Noa occupied. The remainder of their time was dedicated to touring reporters around the accessory courts and introducing the key players. 

Before they knew it, evening encroached and the first day was over.

***

Noa threw a shoe against the wall as soon as they entered the imperial estate. 

"Liar!" she let out a shrill scream then chucked the other shoe, letting it skid across the annex. Barefoot, she stomped into the living room, thrashing her purse against the sofa before looking around for something else to throw. 

Ayuna watched Noa barrage around like a loose bullet and silently applauded her for bottling up this amount of rage for an entire day.

"I'm going out for a run," declared Noa. "I can't stay in here—I'll burn the place down!"

"Or you can yell at me. I won't mind," offered Ayuna. "But I wouldn't want you to charge around in the dark and get hurt."

"I don't care if I get hurt!"

"If you get hurt, it'll only give somebody else satisfaction."

This stilled Noa. Ensuing this pause was an ice-cold smirk, "That's right. I can't give Atobe Keigo satisfaction. That jerk's not worth it!"

Ayuna sighed. "I didn't mean Atobe. I was referring to Ikeda Mai."

"Why her?" Nonplussed, Noa said, "She's been lied to like I was."

"You really bought her story, just like that?"

"Didn't you see her ring? That alone says it all. It's an Atobe family heirloom—it's evidence that Atobe Keigo's a liar!"

Giving her head a slow shake, Ayuna said, "I don't know... Shiraishi told me what happened. The entire incident seems a bit too timely, don't you think? How come she just so happens to be here right when Atobe stepped out and stumbled upon you, of all people?"

"Maybe it's evidence that even chance wants justice for both of us!"

"If you say so. But before today, I've never heard Atobe mention Ikeda Mai or even the Ikedas—"

"Why would he when he's so busy womanizing?!" Noa shot back crossly. With a threatening glare, she growled, "If you still consider me a friend, Ayuna, don't you dare defend him. Don't you see what he's made me into? You think I'm going to settle and play along as 'the other woman'?!"