52. Final Warning

Ryoma and Tezuka's return brought a festive mood to the group. To give them a proper welcome, they went to an eel restaurant near Doutsu. Atobe and Noa came along despite it formally being a Seigaku reunion—Atobe for the sake of Noa, and Noa for the sake of Ayuna.

They were shown to a private room upon arrival. As the stars of the party, Tezuka and Ryoma occupied the middle seats. With strategic maneuvering, Ayuna sat to the far right with Atobe and Noa, while Fuji was shepherded to the far left by Eiji. Questions were flying all around, but none dove too far into the past. Ayuna was grateful for Noa and Eiji, who tactically steered the conversations and kept them centered around Tezuka and Ryoma. 

The group dispersed after lunch. Most had to start the long journey back to Tokyo. The organizers had to return to their respective universities to tend to business. Eiji, too, had to leave for his part-time job. Being the only one staying at a hotel in Kyoto, Tezuka asked whether Fuji had time to play a few practice games. Fuji said he did, and off they went.

The rest of their afternoon was spent at an outdoor tennis court in east Kyoto. Fuji was relieved to let tennis replace conversation. After three years of not seeing Tezuka, he wasn't quite sure what to say.

Days had grown shorter as October deepened. They finished practice rallies when it became too dark to continue. Together, they walked to a sit-down noodle shop and had dinner. 

While they ate, Fuji thought about how sobering it was to be on the court with Tezuka again. Even though he was proof that Fuji had weakened, it still felt good to have nothing but tennis binding them. That, he thought, was evidence that time hadn't eroded their friendship.

After dinner, Fuji and Tezuka took a walk down the riverfront path. Cherry trees lining the canal had already been stripped bare. Interweaved between bony branches were Japanese maples. Illuminated by the silvery moonlight, their scarlet hues took on an ethereal glimmer.

"How's this for coming home?" asked Fuji as they strolled. "Must be odd for you, coming from Germany to the most Japanese city possible."

"It's comforting, actually," answered Tezuka. "Kyoto has everything I missed about home."

"What might that be?"

"Temples, antique shops, weathered temples, well-groomed trees... Everything."

"I'm surprised. I thought you wouldn't care to think much else besides tennis."

Tezuka was silent for a minute. "I'm sorry for not visiting."

"You're visiting now."

He nodded. Appraising their surroundings, Tezuka said, "Odd to think the last time we walked like this was exactly three years ago and also in Kyoto."

Fuji gave a wistful smile. It was an impromptu and uncomfortable trip that drove a rift between them. They spent the entire time sightseeing and hiking, but refused to talk beyond sceneries. It was worse than a fight: they were too divided to have a discussion at all.

"Seems like everything's come back in a full circle," observed Fuji.

Tezuka nodded. They went on walking for some distance without speaking. Reaching a footbridge, he stopped. "I think I owe you another apology."

Fuji waited.

"I'm sorry for being so fatalistic three years ago. I was wrong."

"You and everyone else."

"Looks like a lot has happened while I was gone."

Fuji considered this. "Not as much as you think."