44. Shiraishi Kuranosuke

At a quarter past eleven, Inui and Ayuna arrived at Utsubo Tennis Center. It sat in a sprawling green space that spanned ten blocks. Inside, twelve tennis courts dotted the path leading to the main coliseum. 

At security, they penned down their names and were told that Shiraishi was expecting them at the main coliseum. After thanking the receptionist, they took their visitor tags and meandered through the accessory courts.

"They've built more courts and facilities since my last visit," observed Inui as they walked. "I would dare say Utsubo is now on par with Ariake."

"If that's the case, how likely do you think we'll secure this venue?"

"Hm. That would depend on how persuasive you are."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Inui smiled. "You'll see."

Unable to decipher his cryptic reply, Ayuna abandoned further questioning. Once inside the main coliseum, they climbed onto the observer deck, where Shiraishi requested to meet. Standing at a height, the crisp fall air coalesced with the sharp cerulean of the sky stretching beyond. Despite a looming hint of chill, players who occupied the courts below seemed unaffected in their t-shirts and shorts. 

"Looks like these are Utsubo's latest patrons," Inui remarked thoughtfully. "They're wearing Japan Tennis Association jerseys, which must mean Utsubo's a fairly popular venue for athletes."

This comment only heightened Ayuna's trepidations. Glancing around the spectator area, she wondered out loud, "I wonder where our director is?"

"Down there, to the side."

Ayuna followed Inui's gaze, her eyes landing at the leftmost corner: standing on the sidelines with a racket, the man wore a white dress shirt tucked into pressed navy trousers. The instant she laid eyes on him, his head turned ever so slightly.

Handing the racket back to the coach, he pivoted towards the observer deck. Now directly facing them, Ayuna saw that he had pale brown hair and cedar-colored eyes. The rolled-up sleeve on his left arm revealed thick bandages extending from the elbow to the palm. Meeting Ayuna's eyes, the corner of his lips was upturned. 

Taken aback by his obtrusive stare, Ayuna blinked several times.

"Looks like Shiraishi Kuranosuke found us," Inui said pensively, then added, "he seems especially interested in you, as I expected."

"You've been hinting at this all along, Inui-senpai. Why me, of all people?"

"He's curious, which comes as no surprise."

Ayuna waited for him to go on.

Turning to her, Inui explained, "Shiraishi was the former captain of Shitenhouji High, a team pitted against Seigaku during the national semifinals. He was praised as the most powerful player of Kansai and undoubtedly one of the top players in the nation. Even Tezuka deemed him a frightening opponent."

"What gave captain Tezuka such an impression?"

"Likely because there was virtually no information on him. Whether it was deliberate or not, we weren't sure."

Ayuna silently agreed. Even now, he'd left a narrow margin for investigation.

"Based on the minimal background we did have, Shiraishi was known for inventing a concept called "bible tennis", which is a perfect, textbook playstyle that strips away all unnecessary movements. It's designed to guarantee victory because attacks are optimized by simple and flawless execution. He executed this concept perfectly in his singles match against Seigaku."