61. Dear My Friend (III)

Ryoma and Fuji received a standing ovation.

To see tennis in its skeletal form had been a peculiar yet extraordinary experience—one that the spectators could relay to others as a badge of higher appreciation for the sport. With neither dramatics nor flair, they showed others what it truly meant to be a tennis player. 

They shook hands over the net, where Fuji expressed sincere congratulations to Ryoma. As the court was cleared for the next game, Ryoma marched towards the reserved seating area.

Wiping his forehead with a towel, he announced to the organizers, "I'd like to quit."

Atobe's eyebrows shot up, "Quit, meaning you want to withdraw?"

"That's it."

"You don't want to try to win?"

Ryoma shook his head adamantly. "I'm not going to partake in the finals."

"That's not allowed," retorted Noa. "If you walk out now, we won't be able to have a finals round because we don't have enough qualifiers!"

"Just make Tezuka and Yukimura's game as the final match. It's not that hard, is it?"

"That's not how the scoring system works!" she snapped. "Besides, what are we going to do with the money? People have already paid to be here tomorrow and we've already written up the check to the charity foundation. To have to backpedal and do a refund would damage the event!"

Ryoma shrugged, "Aren't you in charge of the financials? I'm sure you can make it happen."

Sensing the top of Noa's head was about to come off, Atobe held her off. With a frown, he said, "Echizen, whatever problems you have with Fuji Shuusuke, don't take it out on us."

"This has nothing to do with Fuji," Ryoma shot back. "I have personal reasons."

"I'm sure you do," replied Atobe evenly. "As organizers, we have university reputations and stakeholders to consider. Having a non-profit event doesn't mean we can break rules whenever we feel like it. We've gone out of our ways for you as is."

Ryoma stood his ground. "Say what you like. I can't stay and won't stay. I'm just giving you a heads up so you won't have an empty court tomorrow."

Before the conflict escalated into a full-blown argument, Ayuna stood up and met Ryoma's eyes, "You're set on leaving? There's nothing to convince you otherwise?"

Ryoma nodded. "I've made up my mind."

Keeping her gaze on him for several seconds, she pulled her lips into a smile. "Fine."

"Fine?!" Noa gaped. "Ayuna, this is not fine! If you allow this, we'll be criticized for showing partiality!"

"We won't because Ryoma's quitting after he won. It's not as if we've allowed him to move forward when he lost," answered Ayuna mildly. To everyone else, she said, "I'll make a plea on Ryoma's behalf: let him forfeit. Having known him for this long, I'm sure you all know his mind can't be changed easily. For the greater good, please allow him to do as he wishes."

Shiraishi was the first to capitulate. "Kamiya-san's got a point. If we force him to stay, we'll be labeled as inconsiderate for pinning down a top-notch athlete for a non-profit event. Alternatively, as Echizen-san said, if he decides to leave despite our insistence, we'd just be left with a half-empty court. It'd be detrimental either way."

Atobe considered this. "I agree with your points. But like Noa said, we can't exactly issue refunds at this point."

"We don't have to." Shifting her attention to Ryoma again, Ayuna proposed a compromise, "Ryoma, to leave us in a bind like this, you'd have to compensate a little."