3. Recent History

The lock unlatched with a solid clank. Before them was a staircase that led them into the basement library. 

Noa took the lead and guided Ayuna down. Through a handful of half-moon-shaped windows fell in white daylight, casting a dewy sheen off of polished wooden floors. Dust motes swirled about as they tiptoed towards bookshelves housing centuries of history.

They walked past shelves overflowing with scrolls, hardcovers, and letters until reaching the backmost corner. At the end of the walkway was a waist-high bookcase containing a small stack of notebooks. 

"Do you know what these are?" asked Noa, picking up a notebook.

Ayuna knew, but she shook her head: she wanted to hear it from Noa.

"You wrote these." Holding it up, Noa flipped through the pages, "You're an ambassador from the immortal world, stationed here to live an ordinary life and to record the human experience. Does any of this sound familiar?"

Ayuna instinctively nodded. "I was designated by the Creator, who made all of us. And He divided this world into two: mortal and immortal."

Relieved by her response, Noa said, "That's right. The immortals are alive as long as their soul exists and they're all beautiful in a similar way. The mortals are the opposite: they're dynamic in appearance but are highly flawed. They have a limited life span and are vulnerable to illicit desires and illnesses."

Pausing here, Noa looked Ayuna in the eye, "Do you know what you are?"

Neither, she thought. Out loud, she muttered, "A failed ambassador, it looks like."

"I wouldn't exactly put it that way because it wasn't your fault." Setting the notebook down, Noa's voice hardened, "You ended up here because your assignment was leaked out at age fifteen. You were attacked by the Mizunos—the opposition to the current Imperial Household. The Mizunos knew of the imperial family's connection with the immortal world and they knew your purpose. Since they've always coveted the imperial family's power, they abducted you to hijack their connection to the Creator."

Fifteen. The number now had a strange ring to it. Her first encounter with the Mizunos happened before Ayuna started high school. There was nothing about being a Hanamachi or enrolment in a school called Seishun Academy. These details from the past reaffirmed it all to be a dream.

Ayuna stared at the notebooks, then surreptitiously pinched herself. Sharp pain ascertained that the current moment was the true reality.

This was her world, and her memories hadn't betrayed her: Noa had saved Ayuna from the Mizunos' attack. Noa's family—the Amis—had a legacy of guarding the Creator's ambassadors. Noa herself was a third-generation officer and was told to keep watch of Ayuna.

Seeing realization slowly unfold on her friend's face, Noa went on, "After this attempted assassination, the blueprint of your assignment had to change. An angel showed up to announce that you can no longer roam around unguarded. To ensure your safety, you'd be entrusted under the care of the Yozeis—the aristocrats of Japan."

"That was how I met Sachi and Ayuri..." Ayuna murmured.

"Yes. We were immediately brought to the Yozeis and asked to be added to the Imperial Household." Noa sighed, "Of course, they struggled with taking in two strangers, but they were in no position to question immortal orders. So they listed you as the youngest member of the family, behind the crown prince Yozei Sachi and princess Yozei Ayuri. They also awarded me a Medal of Honor and named me an imperial guard, even though my only task is to protect you."

Ayuna nodded again. The past was rushing back to her like tidal waves. "But I'm not really a Yozei," she said firmly. "They never saw me as a true family member. They never put me on the registry."

Golden Era (Book 2)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें