Chapter 30

Wednesday, 5 July 2017 – Joshua

"Take your time and when you are ready we can discuss the options." The doctor gives me a light pat on the shoulder and then walks out closing the door behind him. Skylar was shaking as she cried on the bed every now and then I would hear a 'no please, please no' through her sobs. It is painful to look at her in this state. The only thing that was missing was her bruises and then we'd be back in Atlanta again.

"Skylar, Darling shhh" I spoke softly too afraid I'll break her. When I touched her she cringes as if I am burning her. Yes, this was just like Atlanta but last time she calmed down when she heard my voice. Now, now she reacted to me like I was one of the doctors. I close my eyes trying to focus. I don't know how to be soft and caring. I have never been that man.

"Skylar, look at me." I command harshly, it is the only way I know. The crying stops and I am relieved. "Breathe" I command again and she does. Thank fuck.

"Now look at me" I order and she turns facing my way.

"Good Girl" I say while wiping the tears away with my fingers.

"Now breathe" I command "hold it" I order and watch her face as she holds it. Good just a few more to work through and then her focus would be completely shifted.

"Will you be able to calmly tell me why you are so upset?" I ask her while she is holding her breath she nods and I tell her to breathe out.

"Alright Darling, sit up and tell me why you are so upset. When I press your hands you will breathe in immediately and hold it. Do you understand?"

"Yes Sir" My heart skipped a beat, but I could not dwell on this, I had to keep my focus and so I did.

In her upright position, I kiss her forehead and rub over hands with my thumb. I nod and she takes a deep breath before she starts to speak.

"I don't want to have an abortion, please don't ask me to hav ha have" I press her hands and she takes a deep breath. I press again and she exhales. "Good girl" I kiss her forehead and rub over her hands again.

"Please don't ask me to have one. I'll look after the one with the extra leg or arm. Please" I want to laugh because of the scenario, but that would make her boil again and for once I didn't laugh at the situation.

"Darling, I will never ask you to do that. Never. I know I did that before, but I would have never expected you to do so. I need you around me and in my life and in my screwed up mind I thought that is the only way. I apologize for asking that before." I kiss her forehead again.

"Thank you, Sir" I will have to talk about this with her over our dinner.

"Look at me." I tell her as I lift up her chin. "There is not a single thing wrong with any of our three babies, I promise."

"But how, I saw the extra limb, wait uh what do you mean three?"

"There are three babies" as I say the words I feel my chest rising with pride. Pride for her and pride in the fact that I will be the father of three. She gasps and then hugs me and softly whisper "congratulations"

***

"You know, making me try on clothes doesn't really count as a date." She giggles from behind the curtain and I wonder what she finds so amusing.

"This is just warm up Darling." I push a cocktail dress through the curtain. "I would appreciate it if you have a few formal things in your closet."

"but not all of the things you told me to fit is formal wear."

"Two flies with one stone, Darling" we bicker through the curtain, a teasing dance surrounded with laughter warming my heart with hope.

"Um, I don't think this dress is going to work" she pulls the curtain open the satin shimmers but her skin glows even more. I follow the line her curves and my eyes freeze at the material pulled tightly over the bump on her stomach.