Chapter 29

Wednesday, 5 July 2017 – Skylar

"Harper, please remember Mrs. Flores is allergic to tomato so you need to..."

"Yes, Yes, I won't forget now go or you'll be late and it's not a good idea to anger that man of yours" I roll my eyes and kiss her on the cheek.

"You're the best thank you!" I was thankful that Harper stumbled into my life and I knew she was thankful to. I can still remember the shocked expression on Joshua's face when I asked him and agreed spiritedly to his terms.

"I want Harper to work for me and I want her to stay with me too, please." I could see the moment an idea stuck him by the way his eyes lit up.

"Alright, seeing as I'll be doing you a favor then, I expect to be, compensated." The glint in his eyes and that heated smile weakened me every time.

"Well, I think it's me who is doing you a favor, but fine" I even thumped my foot to the ground and laughed when it seemed as if he will swallow his tongue.

"Naughty girl, that is going to cost you. Compensation will be as follow. Every time we have a doctor's appointment we will have lunch or dinner together and every Sunday we will have brunch."

His radiant smile greeted me as I entered the doctor's office. The constant bubbles in my stomach burst at once with excitement of the sonogram. I walk to the reception and announce myself. The delightful receptionist tells me to take a seat.

"You look beautiful Darling" Josh tells me and I feel my cheeks warm.

"Thank you Joshua, how is your day so far?"

"It's wonderful now." He states with a puzzled frown. "The quiche you made for me today was delicious. Thank you."

"I am glad you enjoyed it. I wasn't sure if the goat's cheese would work with the roasted butternut and peppers, but it complimented it well."

"Miss Reid!" I look over at the reception and the nurse is looking my way. I stand and follow her to the bathroom where she weighs me and tells me to pee in the flute shaped container. After I was done I re-joined Joshua in the waiting area.

"How's the weight Skylar?" his mouth was pressed in a thin line.

"Oh um, I didn't check" I could see that he wanted to say something but I am glad he didn't. I was in no mood for a scolding.

"Miss Reid!" a muscular man calls from reception. I stand and walk to him with Joshua trailing behind me with his hand on the small of my back.

"Good day, please follow me." He tells us with a warm smile and walks down the hallway and enters the room at the end. The walls of his office are covered with photographs of babies, it warms me at first and then for the first time I think of all the times I won't have with these two. When the burning sensation in my nose start, my tears warning, I push them back.

"Please have a seat" he motions to the chairs at his desk and Joshua immediately pulls one out for me. I thank him and sit down.

"I am Dr. Hartman and if you are comfortable with me, I will be by your side till these babies are born. Now yes" he continues with a beaming smile "people say I should've been a cardiologist and I always say there nothing as special as a babies heartbeat." He laughs and opens my file.

"Thank you for sending me all the medical records, they were of great assistance. Miss Reid your weight has improved tremendously, keep up the good work. I would like to do the scan now and then we can discuss everything after. Is that alright?" Even though he was very professional his bedside manner was warm and I was comfortable and agreed with a nod.

The doctor pointed me to a room and told me to put undress and put on the gown and tell him and Joshua when I was ready. Alone in the dim room the tears fell, I could not help it. Dressed in the gown I rinse my face, do some breathing to calm me down and then called through the close door that I was ready. I jumped on the bed and prayed that the lights will remain down.

"Alright let's get started." Dr Hartman said as he entered the room with Joshua behind him. "I will do the external sonar first and if we are satisfied with the imaging I will not do the internal sonar. I have the most advance machine so I am positive." As the screen next to me illuminates my face I hope that my emotional state remains hidden.

The doctor pulls a blanket over my legs to my hips and then opens the gown in the front. He touches the screen and enters my details. Joshua rubs over the blanket I find it calming and irritating at the same time. The anticipation is killing me.

"Just relax, everything will be fine." The doctor tells me as he grabs the gel and squirts it on my stomach. The moment the probe presses against my stomach everything within me twists into a ball of nerves.

"Shh Darling, breathe just breathe." Joshua almost whispers from my feet as he gently rubs over my feet through the blanket. His words soothe me and I'm no longer irritated with his touches.

"Alright we have two sacs here as suspected." The doctor touches the screen measuring each sac. "I'm impressed by the growth, now look there" the doctor moves the cursor over the bean shaped speckle against the side of the sac. "do you see movement" I focus more on the bean and see what looks like a uvula sweep the edge of the sac. "I see it, is that bad?" I felt my eyes growing wet again.

"That's the heart Miss Reid and here's the other one." Silence overpowers the room as we all stare mesmerized at the screen and then it changes to sepia colors and I panic. "What's going? Why does it look like that now?" I ask terrified as tears run down my face.

"I changed to 3D imaging, I apologize for frightening you." The bean shaped images becomes clearer and I can see tiny limbs coming from them. One, two, three, four, I start counting the limbs one by one trying to see every tiny detail, five, six, seven, eight, perfect four legs and four arms and even some fingers, nine wait. "Nine" I say out loud.

"I see it too" Joshua whispers with tears on his face. "Turn towards the wall please Miss Reid" the doctor tells me. They both help me to turn without showing my skin hidden underneath the blanket.

"Yes, it's as I suspected. I'm sorry Miss Reid"

"What... I... I.. can't.... see" I bawl out shaking everything around me gets dark. One of the babies has an extra limb. He will ask me to abort I know it.

"It will be okay Skylar my Darling I promise." I struggled to hear his words as everything around me closes in over me.