Chapter 7

Wednesday, 31 May 2017 – Skylar

I loathe him for what he has done. I still cannot process all of this and it is even harder to compile a reason as to why he is doing this. My reason behind all of this was him, to get away from him. And now I will be stuck with him for the rest of my life.

I know when I hand the baby over to him that will be it, but I hoped that I would still be able to see the baby grow up, especially because it is partly mine even though I have no lawful wright to him or her. Paige told me that in many cases the surrogate form a part in the child's life, because of the parent's bond with the surrogate. That was why I decided to also be an egg donor.

I enter the apartment and fall into the couch drowning myself in my own tears. I hate that I am in this situation with him. Why can't he just leave me alone? I force my tears to stop. Knowing I should be making a life or death decision. This baby's life or my own sanity. I reach for my copy of Tuesdays with Morrie that Isabelle gave me and open it. In the front of the book I find a quote of the book written by Isabelle. I never noticed it before; I just started reading when she first gave it to me.

"You see . . . you closed your eyes. That was the difference. Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel. And if you are ever going to have people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them, too — even when you're in the dark. Even when you're falling."

Love Isabelle

I was awestruck. It was as if these words were designed for this moment. Deep down in a part that I was fighting against I knew that Mr. Black could be a good man, but the proud part of me refused to acknowledge that. Can it be possible that this decision is actually an easy one to make and I am just too conceited about all of this?

The hard truth was that no matter is that I cannot terminate this pregnancy; my heart will never be able to deal with that. With that in my I headed to my bedroom and started packing. I did not have much. Jen kindly gave me some of her clothes she doesn't wear anymore. My once empty backpack could barely close.

I leave $500 on the kitchen counter and push my wallet back into my jean pocket and walk out the door. It didn't sit right with me to stay with Jen's rent-free, every time I gave her rent money she refused to take it. So I made sure that there were enough groceries in the house and that she had lunch packed for work. She is a good friend, someone you can really count on. I hope that she would be able to clarify a few things for me.

On the bus ride to his office my thoughts wonder about how softly he spoke to me at the café; it genuinely felt as if he was concerned about me. I should have listened to Mrs. Lawrence's warning about how emotional this would be. I should have demanded to see the interested party before this whole process, but the $2000 that was offered to accept the anonymity was too inviting.

I walk into the office building and spot her immediately behind the desk. She notices me seconds later and comes around squealing in delight. I did not feel delighted at all.

"So are you pregnant?" she asks excitingly.

"Yes, but..."

"Miss Reid, what on earth are you doing here?" Mr. Blake interrupts agitated with my presence.

"If you want my willingness and corporation I suggest you give me some space. You know exactly what I am doing here and I need to see my friend before we discuss things further." I state sternly looking straight into his eyes.

"Very well, come to my office when you are done." He reluctantly agrees.

Jen stare at me confused and I wait for Mr. Blake to be out of earshot before I speak.

"He tricked me Jen. I am so furiously mad. He is the father of this baby." I tell her fighting against my anger and tears.

"You're fucking kidding right?"

"I'm afraid not." I state shamefully.

"I really don't get it Skylar, he is actually such a kind man. This makes no sense at all." She shakes her head in disbelief.

"He wants me to stay with him, I said no and then he threatened me by telling me he will force me to terminate the pregnancy." My emotion filled voice makes tears form in her eyes.

"Get the fuck out of here."

I start to cry and she pulls me against her, hugging me and telling me that she is here for me. I start to thank her for giving me a place to stay and for the friend she is but then her desk phone starts ringing.

Before she could speak I hear Mr. Blake's screaming from the other side of the line. "Get Miss Reid in my office now!!"

I nodded at her empathy filled eyes and walk to elevator. Fear emanated from me, every cell in my body was shivering and worsened as the elevator climbed to the 35th floor. All my fears worsened when the elevator door opened. My stomach turned at the sight of him waiting for me behind the doors. My hands fly up to my mouth suppressing the gagging sounds.

"Are you all right?" he asks concerned while tracing his thumb over my forearm as he holds me. I want to slap him, and push him down the shaft of the elevator. I despised him. He presses his hand into the small of my back forcing me deeper into his office.

"I have an additional contract for you to sign." He starts as he pushes me down on the chair at his desk. "Please read through it and sign." He walks around the desk and take his seat. He starts typing on his computer without looking at me again.

"I want my lawyer to look this over before I sign." I tell him in my best effort to sound assertive.

He starts to laugh at me, a full head-back-laugh.

"Urgh!" I exclaimed infuriated, again. Everything was too much for me to handle. I shoot up from my chair and walk out of his office. He is still laughing, so hard and uncontrollable that he falls of his chair. As the elevator door closes his laughter gets muffled and I feel like I can breathe a little.

I get off the elevator as quiet as possible and go to the door hidden behind the waterfall. I welcome the white noise the pump system create, but am not surprised when the sound does not calm me down at all. I move to the back of the room and scream releasing all the emotions even when my voice starts getting hoarse I continue. I fall to the floor from utter exhaustion with heavy eyes I drift off.

I wake up ricked in pain. Cramps shoots from my stomach. I hug myself into fetal position hoping to calm the pain, it is excruciating. Suddenly I feel wetness between my legs and push my hand between my legs to confirm the sensation. I scream at the sight of the blood on my hand. I look down and find so much blood.