Chapter 4

Saturday, 20 May 2017 – Skylar 

I have been on bed-rest for twenty four hours now and bored out of my mind. There was only so much information one could take in at a time. The pregnancy and surrogacy books Paige gave me to read was informative and visual. Sometimes I wonder if the writer wanted to give some assurance to an expecting mother or the fright of her life.

I have no idea where I would have ended if Jennifer never found me on the floor of the storeroom. Her relationship with her sister brought back so much memories of my own life. I was ashamed about my situation, but the lack of pity on Jennifer's face warmed me to her instantly.

On the first night of my stay she introduced me to her sister, Paige; we cried and laughed into the early hours of the next morning. I learned that they had a difficult childhood. Their single mother went from the one drug dealer to the other offering herself for her next fix. They were left alone at home for days, but still they held so much passion for life. So much so that Paige is part of a surrogacy program and has made three couples very happy and in a few months' time.

The following day Paige took me to the agency and after a lot of persuasion and medical test I was accepted. I was surprised when they called me a few days ago informing me that I have been chosen, Mrs. Lawrence said that she did not believe that I was likely to be chosen. She explained that the single to- be- father also wanted me to be an egg donor.

She explained that he only wanted to meet me after the pregnancy was confirmed. I could understand that someone did not want to awake hope, but felt alone in the process. Paige and Jen's support was appreciated, but I selfishly needed more. It would have been nice to have someone to talk to for the bed-rest period and just to be there to support me when the embryos was implanted yesterday.

With no doctors and agency appointments distracting me it was hard to cast my thoughts away from Mr. Bombastic' s blue eyes and well sculpted frame. The way his jaw clenched when he was concentrating and his deep voice that called me in my dreams was impossible to ignore in my fighting thoughts.

Jen is having breakfast with her friends and I cannot wait for her to back and distract my thoughts. It has been fun getting to know her and the regular movie nights we have on the couch always brings a smile to my face. I think the movie nights were an excuse she used to get me to make snacks. I loved trying out new recipes and ever since I moved in I started experimenting with macaroons, the favorite so far was the S 'mores macaroon. Jen loved them and so did I.

I started to get ready for the shower when the doorbell rings. Not intending to open the door, I grab the satin robe Jen gifted me from her closet and make my way to the door. With the lock chain in place I open the door ready to tell the person behind the door that Jen's not home. I gasp and my blood runs cold coming face to face with a huge fruit basket and a set of blue eyes holding it.

I hope that the visit to Jen is not a regular thing. I am doing this whole surrogacy thing to get enough money and get as far away as possible from the egotistical man in front of me. I am unable to open my mouth to tell him that Jen's not home

"Can I please come in, I want to apologize." His deep voice still makes me weak, how will I ever forget his blue sparkling eyes.

"I forgave you already." I lie, I don't want him to come in or want his stupid delicious fruit basket. Please just leave me alone, I beg him with my eyes, but he only smiles making me weaker and weaker.

"Open up Skylar." He had to; he just had to say my name. It sounds like a dark erotic dream much like the ones I've been having.

"I don't want to." I tell him deciding to be honest.

"Look I really am sorry; there is no excuse for my behavior. I was mad at you." He tells me sympathetically.

"Mad at me?"

"Yes, earlier that day I was coming into the Coffee shop by the hospital when you rushed by me. You didn't even spare me a glance as I held the door open for you."

"I was in a hurry; I needed to find a place to get ready for my interview. I didn't spare anyone around me a glance." I have no idea why I am confessing this to him.

"I am sorry, I didn't know about your situation." Everything was clear now; the only reason why he is here was because of pity.

"Tell me Mr. Blake, would you be standing here if my situation was different?"

"I don't think so, no" he answers, at least he is honest I will give him that.

"That Mr. Blake is the exact reason why I will not open the door. You can't expect everyone to bow down and acknowledge you when you enter a room. The world will never revolve around you." I start to close the door I need to calm down, but in an instance his shoulder is against the door stopping it from closing.

"Just take the basket and then I will leave you be." And that was my goal, for him to leave me alone.

I unlocked the door all the way and stretched out my hand to take the basket, but he walks past me towards the kitchen and place the basket on the counter. I stand by the open door waiting for him to leave. He strides back to me with an annoying sexy smile on his face; I can feel my legs wobble like jello.

He halts in his steps right next to me and turns to face me. I suck in what feels like my last breath. We are inches apart his eyes moves from my eyes and mouth. I feel a sharp pain and realize that my teeth in sinking into my bottom lip. Please leave; please stay the fights against myself is excruciating.

"Good luck to you, Miss Reid." He walked out the door without another word. I have never been so confused in my life.