Chapter 13

16 June 2017 – Joshua

"Josh, I want to strangle you! You could have told me! You never should have done this to her, none of this would have happened if she didn't feel obligated to run away from you. I told you to fix this you only made it worse. Fuck!" Isabelle's hands are everywhere as she screams at me bawling out her anger.

I am relieved that the boardroom I am hiring from the hospital is sound proof my sister has been screaming at me since she arrived an hour ago. There was no chance to interrupt her to explain my fucked up, selfish reasons to her.

"I want to see her now!" she screams out with a husky voice and turn to walk away. I grab her by the arm stopping her in her tracks.

"The moment I saw her, I wanted her by my side Sis. I don't know how, but I love her." My voice was soft begging her to understand.

"I know I fucking know! When I replayed that moment in my kitchen over and over I saw it, I finally saw it, but fuck you were a jerk to her." A slow tear was running down her face.

"I never wanted this, you know that, but with her... It is inexpiable." I pulled her to my chest holding her to me to calm her down.

When we finally made our way to the hospital room I walked in with a sigh. Nothing has changed. For the past few days her movements and silent whispers has stilled. She looks like Snow White encased in a private room.

Isabelle drags a chair closer to her bed and places her cell on the bed. She holds Skylar hand while whispering something to her. I catch her scanning all the medical instruments, taking note of her condition.

"You love catching raindrops on your tongue
forever free, forever vibrant, forever young
Staring into the heavy dark clouds with wonder
I don't see you flinch even in the thunder

I love growing up with you
even when you make me blue
blowing kisses into the sky
my sister, that's you and I...."

The beautiful voice and lyrics sounds from my sister's phone and I have no idea who is singing this, but I can feel the emotion in each word. As the song continues on my heartbeat accelerates when I hear the familiar whisper of Skylar's humming voice.

My eyes move to her lips and when I see the same movement I saw a few days ago I almost fall to my knees. I feel my face getting wet from the relieved tears falling from my eyes. I want to shake her awake.

A gasp from my sister alerts me towards the bed again. Skylar's hands are moving it almost looks like she is pressing chords on a guitar. It is in this moment that I realized that the girl singing is her.

I don't want to break the moment I silently stare at the scene. Isabelle and I spare glances toward each other with widening smiles. I waited for the moment, the moment Skylar would finally open her eyes, but with each replay of the song Skylar's humming and movement died down.

"She is only tired, Josh" Isabelle rubs my shoulders as she tries to comfort me, but the comfort I seek can only come from the beautiful woman asleep in the bed in front of me.

After my sister left I was drained filled with desperate emotions. I felt weak, something I have never felt before. It was for this exact reason why I never wanted to fall in love. Women have the strength to bring any man to his knees.

You are weakening me Skylar Reid, but I love you even more for that.

I cringe when my thought take me to each moment I shared with her. How hard I tried to fight my own emotions. The battle made me a narcissistic jerk. How her eyes portrayed the hope and confidence to land the job. And then they played out the hurt when I lied to her about the position being filled and the fight within her mirrored the own fight within me.

Those same fighting eyes made me weak to the bone that evening in the club. I cannot even comprehend what would have happened if our paths did not cross again. It is an undeniable fact that fate cannot be changed and that we were meant to be fighting together.

I will fight for us both and for our babies until you can fight with me Skylar, was the last thought I had before I drifted off on the couch in her room.

****

I jump from the couch with the sound of someone vomiting. Confused I try to find a switch in its normal position when I remember that I am in the hospital room.

"Shit!" I run to the switch when I am almost certain that was Skylar's voice.

When the light finally illuminates the room I find Skylar sitting upright on the bed. Her bedding is soiled with her vomit; I cannot help but to laugh at his beautiful moment. I swallow my laughter the moment I see the scowl on her face.

"I am so sorry, it's just" I have no idea how I am going to tell her that she is still pregnant. I did not want to break the news to her like this. "I am sorry Skylar, I meant no disrespect, I am just so happy to see you awake."

Skylar just shakes her head, her eyes are filled with anger as she start to search for something. Her hands works furiously around the bed and on the table beside her until she finds the call button and presses it.

Sweat started forming on her forehead and she started to shake. I had no idea what was going on and I was too scared to ask. As soon as the nurse entered the room Skylar started to vomit again. Within seconds the nurse had a bowl in front of her. I stood motionless; I had no idea what to do.

By the time the nurse finished attending to Skylar she was sound asleep. When I laid my own head on the pillow on the couch I smiled, filled with relief.