Chapter 12

June 2017 – Skylar

The beeping sound becomes less frequent, her heartbeat slows with each passing moment. Tears stream down my face the inevitable moment the doctor warned me about is staring me in my face. I screamed at her to continue fighting. Her heartbeat speeds up as she starts to fight for my sake alone.

"I love you" I whisper softly in her ear, but the voice is not mine it's hers. I open my eyes shocked and see her standing in front me. The lights of Seattle city draw me in behind her. We are standing on the Space Needle just like we did a few weeks before she got sick. We stood there for hours staring into the flickering lights of the city, and talked as if we had years to catch up on. Maybe it was because she knew then what was coming.

"Skylar!" she calls me. The city lights grows dim and blurs away the only object I can focus on is her eyes as they bore into me. "You need to fight, fight like you have never before!" she screams, I have no idea what she is going on about. I search around us for any danger, but everywhere I look I only see her eyes.

The sound of the beep creates a soothing rhythm and the image of my sister's eyes starts to fade into darkness. I reach for her to pull her back, but cannot get a grasp on her.

"My memories will forever stay in your heart that makes it impossible for me to ever be gone. Go now, don't stop fighting!" She screams from the distance.

"I love you!" I scream as her eyes dilute into the darkness.

"Skylar?" I hear someone ask, but I cannot find anyone in the darkness.

The darkness consumes me. Out of every corner and space I hear people talking, but see nothing. Beep is the only constant and even though I cannot find the source I call him my friend. He never leaves. The battle between the voices and Beep continues on and it tires me. I want to close my eyes and sleep.

"Shh, I want to sleep!" I beg then for some peace and quiet.

"Skylar?" a familiar deep voice asks. I see no one, but I answer but cannot hear my own reply.

The battle continues on.
Voices. Darkness. Beep. Darkness. Beep, Beep. Darkness.

Morse code, it must be. I cry again angry with myself for never learning it. The voices starts to whisper again and I feel the breath against my ear. Beep beeps faster, but I can now focus on the voice. The voices I longed to hear, but I have no reason why, he is a rude man with an empty heart.

"Skylar, I am so sorry, I was a jerk! I was an asshole, worse even. I need you to come back. I want us to raise our babies together. I will proof myself to you, please, I need you. I care for you so much all I think and breathe is you. Please don't give up. I never wanted to have a woman in my life and from the first moment I saw you in that coffee shop my heart was drawn to you and then you didn't even notice me. I was devastated and angry with you, but more importantly myself. Fuck woman I love you, and I love you more and more every day. You need to fight for all of us. I won't survive life without you baby. Please"

This guy is bonkers, beep, I lost my baby. I lost my baby. I feel the wet tears run down my face. How is it even possible that I have any tears left? I want to wipe away the tears, but my arms are reluctant to move. I feel something hot against my skin. Someone is kissing my tears away. I shiver from the pleasant sensation and then it is gone. I whimper at the lost.

I start to hear a familiar melody. I start to hum the tune softly to myself. Then I hear my own voice singing the lyrics, but I know that this is not me singing, because I am only humming along. My left hand start to press the chords of the invisible guitar in my hands. It is the song I wrote for my sister when she was in hospital I sang it to her every day. I feel mouth stretch into a smile as I start to sing along.