Chapter 18

Monday, 19 June 2017 – Joshua

I was relieved when we finally landed in Seattle. Due to stormy weather in a few places, flight arrivals were delayed and people were anxiously waiting for their family members to arrive. In the first class lounge, I let Skylar indulge in anything she wanted. She had one cup of coffee and a few cups of decaf and then pancakes and fruit. On the plane, she ate soup and bread and when that was done she asked for more. It was absolutely delightful to watch her eat like that.

The drive to my house on Mercer Island was quiet. She twisted her fingers in her lap and I could see she was deep in her thoughts. I gave her that moment. I wanted to grab her hand and place it on my leg. I wanted to brush my fingers through her hair when we stopped at the red lights.

"The guesthouse is private from the main house, you can come and go as you please. If you need a car or someone to drive you somewhere just tell or call me. Better yet I'll give you my driver's number." I quickly looked at her and was certain I saw a tear run down her face.

The view from the bridge was magnificent. The twinkling of the lights between the city and the island played a dance. One would call and the other would answer. From the corner of my eye, I see Skylar kissing her fingers and blowing it into the sky. If I wasn't in the middle of the bridge I would have pulled over and let her kiss a thousand more into the sky. I've never seen her looking so peaceful than at that moment.

"So how long will I be on the 'see-if-I'll-kill-you' watch?" she asks with a laugh.

"Well let's see on Friday, okay? I also don't want you to overwork yourself you need to rest as well. I don't want you to strain yourself." I said returning her laugh.

I pulled the car into the garage and helped her with her things. I told her to follow the pathway to the water and she did without hesitating. The low lights of the pathway shined on her legs, she looked like a model on a runway. I slowly walked behind her appreciating the view.

"You enjoying the view back there?" she asked over her shoulder with a teasing smile surprising me. I just nodded with a smile of my own.

She followed the steps slowly and I came in next to her linking our arms. With me by her side, she became more confident in her steps. We reached the end of the steps and I guided her to the patio of the guesthouse. I opened the door for her and held my hand into the space inviting her in. She slowly studied the space.

The open plan space was carefully designed to flow easily. The living room, dining room, and kitchen were designed in such a way that guests could be served without constrictions when I entertain guests on the deck on the water. The kitchen to the guesthouse was bigger than the one in the main house for that exact same reason. I opened the door to the guestroom and waited for her to enter. She was still staring at the kitchen.

"You need to sleep now Skylar, you will have lots of time to explore tomorrow. Erica, my cook, will show you everything you need tomorrow. She already knows to expect you tomorrow." I said as I placed her things on the bed.

"Thank you," she said as she entered the room. I gave her a long hug and whispered it's only a pleasure into her hair.

Before I left the guestroom I told her to lock the doors and slowly walked away. It was hard to walk away because I didn't want to be away from her.

"Joshua?" I heard her call and I turned around and when I saw her shaking I ran to her.

"What's the matter, Darling?" I asked no longer caring that I can't help that word escaping from my lips.

"I see the fridge is fully stocked," she tells me with a blush earning a smile from me "I was hungry and was looking for yoghurt." She starts to explain.

"I stocked the fridge for you, you don't have to explain." My hand moved to her face and my thumb brushed over her lips. She shivered and I desperately wanted to kiss her.

"Thank you, well uh, I was going to make myself a sandwich, would you like one and eat here with me?" I was shocked by the invitation that I had no words.

"It's okay you are probably tired," she said while turning around letting her head fall to the ground. I grabbed her hand and pulled her back to me.

"I would love to, I was just surprised that you asked." I kissed the top of her head and she blushed it was beautiful.

I moved us to the kitchen and before I could open the fridge she pulled me to the counter bar chair. I smiled and took a seat. From the fridge, I saw her grabbing ham, gherkins, tomato, chicken, and cheese. She started cooking chicken and grabbed lettuce and bacon from the fridge. She moved graciously through the space and I lost track of what she was doing.

She placed two plates in front of me and plated the club sandwich and some salad into it. I waited for her to take a seat before I took my first bite. The salad was like nothing I've tasted before. Each bite burst with a new flavor as the walnut, cranberries, and pomegranate mixed with the rest of the ingredients.

"This is delicious wow! Thank you so much" I said between bites.

"Well, I'm glad you like it because I made you extra for lunch tomorrow and I also made for Jen, um I hope that is okay." I grabbed her hand and kissed each knuckle it made her giggle.

"It's more than okay Darling"

After we were done and wanted to help her clean up but it was only our plates that were dirty and I could not help but wonder how so managed all of that.

"Thank you again that was lovely." I said while pulling her into my arms. I could no longer contain myself I wanted to feel her close to me all the time. My eyes roamed her lips, they looked so inviting, I moved down to kiss her, but she saw my plan and twisted herself around and gave me my lunch for tomorrow.

"Thank you for letting me stay here I hope you sleep well."

"Goodnight Skylar" I said and took the long lonely steps back to the main house.